I assume someone here has made candles and can help me out.
I’m making a piece for a Halloween costume, not an actual candle, but it seems the best way to do it is by melting candle wax and pouring into a mold. What I’m making is a simple ring, about three inches outer diameter, and two inches inner diameter. It will be less than an inch thick. Is this small enough that I can do it in one pour? (From what I’ve read online, even votive sized candles typically need two pours.)
Secondly: How will I clean the damn wax out of the double-boiler I use?
Third: Will using cooking spray on the mold be good enough to keep the wax from sticking? I also have some silicone lubricant spray, would that be better?
And lastly: How “water-tight” (for lack of a better word) does the mold need to be? It’s basically made out of a piece of plywood with short lengths of PVC pipe on it. I don’t have anything “sealing” it…will wax leak out? I figured it will a little, but the small amount that does will then just cool and seal itself, and I’ll trim it off when it cools.