R.I.P. Julian Bream

Classical guitarist and lutenist Julian Bream has died at the age of 87:

I grew up listening to classical guitar (my dad loved it), and Julian Bream was one of my favorites. His playing was always dynamic and sensitive at the same time. He had a huge repertoire, including pieces that contemporary composers such as Benjamin Britten and Richard Rodney Bennett. He wanted to make the lute as popular as the guitar, and while he wasn’t really successful at this, he did create some truly beautiful lute recordings.

Thank you, Julian.

One of the all-time great guitarists and lutenists. I continue to enjoy some of his many recordings. RIP, Mr. Bream.

A playlist of English Songs performed by Peter Pears, accompanied by Bream on lute (Britten on piano) It Was a Lover and His Lass - YouTube

I met him once, in 1970. I lived in Risley Residential College at Cornell, a dorm for students with interests in the arts. When musicians came to give concerts at the college, they would be invited to dine there an spend the night in the guest suite. According to Cornell Reports (p. 7), he spent half the night “rapping” with the students.

So sorry to hear this. A friend introduced me to Bream’s music in 1983 (a cassette of him playing John Dowland) and since then I’ve enjoyed many hours of listening.

Here’s his performance of a Vivaldi lute concerto; the sound quality isn’t great but he’s still impressive JULIAN BREAM PLAYS VIVALDI'S LUTE CONCERTO IN D - YouTube
And Sevilla by Albeniz
Julian Bream | Sevilla | Isaac Albéniz - YouTube
Dowland
Julian Bream - Semper Dowland Semper Dolens by John Dowland - YouTube