R.I.P. Pele, Good bye to the king

One of the greatest ever.

RIP to the man who wore the crown for many decades.

Here are some enjoyable WC goals.

Too bad, but not surprising in the end after the news about his health in the last weeks. Unfortunately, I’m just a few years too young to have seen him play, but of course I saw many of his best scenes and my father told me about him. After Argentina won the WC, I said that now the holy trinity of football is Pelé, Maradona and Messi. If this is true, then Pelé is the Father.

I guess now they can continue their game:

I’ll always remember to buy Crestfield Wax Paper:

RIP…

And let’s not forget that he played a WW2 Trinidadian corporal prisoner-of-war in Victory.

With Ardiles, Michael Caine and… Stallone, they probably spent half the time laughing at Sly’s attempts to play football.

I wonder who kept that ball in the times before eBay and whether they can proof that it is that ball.
And I had him in my Celebrity Death Pool list! I am good at keeping people alive except whent they are footballers. Sorry.

Wow, I had no idea he was so old. His reputation is still so strong that I assumed he must have been playing recently.

I just learned that the last game he played was his farewell game in 1977 with Cosmos New York (where he had played his last season in a team with Franz Beckenbauer. Wow, Pelé and Beckenbauer in one team must’ve been great, if it hadn’t been for Cosmos in an opera league) versus FC Santos. He scored his 1281st and last goal with a free kick for Cosmos and changed to the Santos team after halftime.

Thanks Pele, for inspiring so many and growing the most beautiful game.

Way back during the Wide World of Sports on ABC Pele was often one of the thrills of victory.

Of course that Yugoslavian skier was always, always “the agony of defeat”.

St. Peter is yelling, “Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!”

Satan has raised the off-side flag.

Back when my brother and I were playing in little league soccer, the local little league soccer org arranged an appearance by Pele. That was a BIG DEAL back then (mid 70s-ish). So, I never got to see him play, but I did get to see him.