Radiohead.

I really like radiohead. They’re my second-favorite band, and I listen to them very often. But I really don’t understand why anybody else would like them. It feels like those songs were made specifically for my brain. One reason I like them is the stuff I see inside my head when I listen to them. (I have a strange form of synesthesia.)

I can simultaneously recognize the objective and subjective characteristics of something. When somebody says “I like radiohead” my immediate reaction is but they’re boring! I can see every reason why this really strange, eclectic (to an extreme, untasteful level: this stuff doesn’t mix) meandering stuff is crap. That guy’s voice is just annoying. And what’s with all this noise?

Yet I don’t feel it when I’m listening for my own pleasure.

So, I guess the point of the thread is: Why do you like radiohead? I suppose if you hate radiohead, you can tell me about that too.

Can I say I enjoyed Kid A and Amnesiac? Both of the aformentioned albums were recorded in the same time period. I don’t really care for that altered alternative sound of previous albums. The latest appears to be succumbing that modern en vogue sound. Idioteque just blows my mind though. Seeing them play that in realtime is a site to behold! Those 2 albums were wonderful in their sans guitar states, held aloft on warm synthetic strings. A harsh buzzing wrapped in originality, shyed from the pomp and promotion. Beautiful because of the layers, beatiful to know it wasn’t just a 909 and some korg keyboards. Analog bubbles.

Because they are brilliant songwriters and ARTISTS! Even if their songs weren’t so gorgeous that they can (and have) made me cry with joy and wonder, I would still be able to appreciate the sheer artistry that they can barely contain in song.

You might have guessed that Radiohead is my favorite band.

I am a big Radiohead fan. Have been since “Creep”.

I think the tracks on their albums are so varied and layered and Thom Yorke’s voice so affecting and emotional in many ways.

I also think they are at heart a live band (I’ve seen them three times, in gigs ranging from a couple of hundred people to tens of thousands) and to really experience the depth of the songs (especially from the Kid A and Amnesiac albums) you have to hear them live, when the vocals play out stronger that the music.

I have to say I don’t think they are really a band you can throw on in the background and ignore, as you can with so many others. To appreciate their worth you have to actually concentrate on the songs. They are, to me, ideal for driving, when you can be completely immersed in their sound.

I’ve seen them 3 times too, in similar circumstances to Aro, over the last 9 years. Best band I’ve ever seen live, and the two best gigs I’ve ever been to. Going again in December. That is all I have to say.

I love Radiohead a lot, but I’ve been re-immersing myself in Jeff Buckley lately–haven’t been able to play his music much since he died; waaay to painful–and I wish more people would realize the debt such current bands as Radiohead owe to him. He started a revolution in rock music that’s still reverberating. Without Buckley’s Grace, I’m not entirely sure Radiohead ever would have taken the stylistic chances they did after “Creep.”

Radiohead handles melody well. I like melody. So I like Radiohead.

As for those who say Thom Yorke’s voice is too whiny, I see what you mean. But lucky for me I appreciate the music over they lyrics just about all the time. Thom’s voice, when regarded as an instrument, imitates strings and resonant tones.

Well put, criminalcatalog. From what I’ve read, Thom himself considers his voice to be more of a musical instrument than an outlet for lyricism, hence such rather odd lyrical choices like “the raindrops” in Sit Down Stand Up, which were chosen more for the sound of the word than any actual relevance to the rest of the lyrics.

I’m not really sure if I can otherwise elucidate why I’m as big a Radiohead fan as I am. I can name all sorts of reasons- the incredible range of their songwriting (going from Just to Idioteque to A Wolf at the Door is no mean feat), their ability to balance on the thin thread between experimentation and pop mentality, their unbelievable live show, et cetera- but it all really boils down to this: their music hits my emotions in a way like no other band I’ve heard.

However, I can also generally comprehend the reasons why people might dislike them. I may disagree, but ultimately it all comes down to subjective taste, and arguing about that is pretty pointless.

I must confess to mild amusement, though, when I see Kid A alternately condemned as “too pretentious and weird” by some people and “not REALLY experimental” by others, often within the same thread. :wink:

I have asked myself this for years. Since the Bends, I’ve been absolutely blown away by Radiohead. Even b-sides seem superior to most other material I find (Fog and the Trickster are two of my favorite songs off any release).

I also agree that some individuals are more prone to “connecting” with the material. In my opinion, there is a higher quality because the combination of emotion, sound, and all around FULLNESS of what being produced.

One great thing about RH is that, if you listen enough, the law of diminishing returns hardly even applies compared to other bands (or the point of “diminishing returns” happens much later w/ Radiohead). You can listen to the songs/CD’s over and over and over before extracting the greatness that is contained within. In some people, it may be hundreds of times before an appreciation develops (as in my roomate, who just last week said to me “ya know, I’m kind of starting to like Ok Computer!” even though I’ve been telling him for years how good it is, yet, he’s never “understood”.)

Other bands, songs, or CD’s go from enjoyable, to “great”, to old, to “ugh, I’m sick of this song” in a relatively short amount of time.

Radiohead has been the only band (as hard as I try to find others) to completely take my brain and immerse it in sound so that almost nothing else matters while I’m hearing it. Pretty unexplainable really. Although I’d say HTTT doesn’t grab me like The Bends through KidA/Amnesiac did.

I like Radiohead for their songwriting, the melody, the willingness to not sit still and always grow and experiment. The myriad of sounds that they use, the changing of tempo and rhythm also attract me. The remind me of the Beatles in that if you listen to the first record and the last (or latest) record you can hardly tell it is the same band. Not to compare their influence to the Beatles, but their willingness to grow.

I like Radiohead because they forced me me to. Not in the way MTV forced Creep down your throat in 1993 (still refuse to buy Pablo Honey because of that song), but in the way that after hearing The Bends for the first time when my roommate bought it I could not stop listening. I was a Radiohead fan and there was nothing I could do about it.

Funny, since the beginning, I decided I didn’t like the lyrics. I thought they were just trying to confuse me. So I started thinking about the lyrics as an instrument. That was a good decision. And I’d never heard of Yorke saying that himself. And sometimes seemingly random words serve to communicate a mood.

I do like the lyrics, personally. Thom’s lyrics can never really be considered line by line, or without the music, as the words are so intertwined with the music that they often look limp, or lost, without it. Case in point: “Immerse your soul in love,” from Street Spirit (Fade Out). A trite catchphrase on its own, but in context with the rest of the lyrics, placed where it is within the music, it has incredible power.

Here’s a fun little article on 5th graders’ reactions to Radiohead, and the drawings they made in response.

Ì like them because their music let’s me feel different things every time I hear it.

I don’t like them, for much the same reasons you listed in the OP. Their new album is better, though… I sort of like it, although I’m getting sick of “Go To Sleep” being played on Alt Nation all the time.