[QUOTE=DrDeth]
OTOH, I don’t like “non-medical-professionals” calling themselves “Doctor”. If you have a PhD. , sure yeah, put it on your business card, but you are “Hi, I am Bob Smith” not “Greetings, I am Doctor Smith”. Then again, if someone else introduces you as “Shirley, this is Doctor Smith, a Professor at ACME Univ” I am fine with that. But if you don’t treat patients*, don’t call yourself “Doctor”.
(I understand this may sound hypocritical of me, but the “DrDeth” appellation is a joking nickname the dudes at work call me, and I also use it for gaming. I introduce myself as “First name, last name, call me “xxxxxx””.
*Yes, this includes Dentists, Vetinarians, Eye Doctors, Chiropractors and the like)
[/QUOTE]
Well, like it or not, “Doctor” is part of their title, which they’ve earned by getting a PhD or whatever kind of doctorate. They probably can’t use the expression “Trust me, I’m a Doctor” however, as I’m fairly sure THAT’S limited to medical professionals. The main thing that is different is which flavor of alphabet soup they can put on the other end of their name.
Of course, it probably all depends on context. On most college campuses, all the PhDs are going to be “Doctor so-and-so” whether or not they know which end of a stethescope to shout into, while in a hospital, the title probably just doesn’t come up very often.
And in response to the topic: a thought randomly occured to me: “Wouldn’t they only be a raging douche if they were like, foaming at the mouth angry?”