Ragnarok (Netflix series)

I couldn’t find a thread on this show. Anyone else watch? I just finished the 2nd (and latest) season. I enjoyed it. It’s sort of a cross between Thor and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I stumbled on the first season, and loved it. Good twists and unexpected characters.

I just finished the 2nd season. Clearly gearing up for the 3rd season (and beyond ?). It seems the theme for the 2nd season is “changing relationships”.

The scenery continues to blow me away.

I didn’t realize it was a current show when I started watching it and thought they were going to wrap things up at the end of S2. Definitely not.

My wife and I have watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and are enjoying it. Yeah, the scenery is practically one of the main characters.

Yeah, I had assumed it was a few years older as well. But it’s hard to get a feel for how current it is, being a Norwegian show.

I watched season 1 when it first dropped. I have two episodes left on season 2.

I liked the first season but found season 2 disappointing.

Is it subtitled or dubbed? Subtitles are a bad fit for me, I am always doing something else (usually drawing, currently painting some garden gnomes for a friend) while watching tv.

Either. The dub works. Don’t use both. The dub and the CC don’t match.

Thanks, the dub should work fine for me.

I’ve noticed this with many foreign shows that are dubbed and wondered why that is. Of course, it could be as simple as different companies doing the dubbing and the captions, but I have a theory:

The people doing the dubbing have gotten really good at matching the moving lips. It can’t be perfect, but it’s not nearly as bad as say, old Godzilla movies, where it didn’t match at all and the lips would continue to move a half-second after the dubbing stopped.

I think the people doing the dubbing are changing the dialogue to match the moving lips, keeping the meaning as close as possible, while the CC is a more accurate translation. For that reason I do often use the dubbing and CC together. I’ve noticed when a character speaks without their lips showing (when their back is turned or whatever), the dubbing does often match the CC, but not always.

I think you are right but I would prefer a CC that matches the dub.

I’m using the CC to improve my following the accent.

So, any theories on which goddess Imam is becoming? I think it’s clear who Harry is destined to be. And I wonder if there are any others in the town who are destined for divinity. I was also a little disappointed by season 2. It felt like less happened.

I’m no expert in Norse mythology, but I read an article that said Freyja. I also thought at one point Signe spoke to Magne in the old language. Did anyone else catch that?

That’s exactly my issue, I expected the story to move forward more. Thus disappointing. I’m also growing to dislike too many characters.

I was a little letdown by Season 2 but it could be a really good build up for the next season. We loved it- best part is when Magne loses the family sledgehammer and his mother flips out and tells him to go get a new one because really , what family can live without their sledgehammer? I don’t know why but that scene really made us laugh.

I did like how Laurits reveled in his divine reflection as opposed to Magne, who was shocked. Shocked that Thor wasn’t wearing his Washington Redskins shirt.

I use the shows own CC and can’t tell the difference between Norwegian and “The Olde Tounge.” So I can’t tell when they’re using it. I don’t use the Netflix system CC because of spoilers. On the very first episode I had that on and when the one-eyed old man said something, the CC identified the speaker by name as part of the caption. Thanks Netflix!

The short “mythology lesson” at the start of the episode where she showed powers was about Freyja.

I only realized towards the end of the second season that I know the show creator Adam Price mainly as a Danish TV chef. I looked around on YouTube and was disappointed that none of the episodes of Spise med Price available had English subtitle, so no way to share this pearl of a show with my English speaking friends.

To be fair to Netflix, it’s not as if it’s much of a revelation who an old one-eyed man in a show about the Norse apocalypse will turn out to be.