Random question about my vaccination card

Basically, it accidentally got greasy. An entire corner (a large amount) is now see-through; fortunately, it didn’t blur any text and the vaccine listing part wasn’t affected.

With all the fakes going around (e.g. I’ve heard that you shouldn’t get it laminated because it helps cover fraud), is my card now necessarily useless for its purpose? People who examine it are definitely going to notice. Should I just contact my state health authority for a new one now?

Has anyone asked to examine it? Unless you’re planning international travel in the near future, I doubt anyone is going to look at it.

Mostly, I have no idea of what requirements will pop up in the future for doing anything, and I keep reading that this card is literally the only proof anyone will accept. Plus, I assumed that people weren’t buying the forgeries for nothing (although I now remember that people are that dumb, so maybe not).

I took a pic of mine and keep it on my cell phone just in case something happens to the card.

But I keep the card folded and in a separate sleeve in my wallet.

I wouldn’t be all that concerned. If you are, go to the place where you got shots and ask them to fill out a new one (they, of course, can have/destroy your old one).

It isn’t an official document like a drivers license or a passport. It’s a form a medical person took notes on so you’d have a record of the vaccine name, date(s) and most importantly the lot numbers in case you had an adverse effect or reaction so it could be reported and tracked. That the corner is greasy won’t matter for any of those purposes. If it is more reassuring to you, go have the original copied and then have that copy laminated and carry it, storing the original at home. Staples did all of that for free for me.

Don’t bother your state dept of health about it unnecessarily, they are pretty busy as it is.

Also, WRT not laminating it. The only reason I’ve heard for that ‘rule’ was in case a 3rd or 4th booster shot is needed at some point down the line. This way they can update your current card instead of starting a new one.

And if another sticker for a 3rd or 4th dose gets added, it that can still happen on top of a laminated copy or make the copy and don’t laminate it. It’s not a sacred, worth its weight in gold secure document. Record in computer files the vaccine, dates and lot numbers then don’t worry about it. There will have to be plenty of warning if, and I think it is very unlikely, if the US starts expecting what is referred to as vaccine passports.

Contact the location(s) where you were vaccinated. They should be able to pull your data record and issue you a replacement card. Once you have your replacement card, photograph both sides of it with your smartphone (hence. you don’t need any vaccination apps).

Once you done all that, store your original vaccination card with your other important papers (passport, SSN card, mortgage papers, vehicle title. etc.) that you should never carry around as a normal occurrence.

As BippityBoppityBoo says, it’s not actually a critical document. It’s information. The physical card is trivial to forge. No one who really needs proof is going to accept it. If someone wants evidence that you’ve been vaccinated, (evidence isn’t proof) the greasy card, or a photocopy of it, will be fine.

I got my vaccine 3 months ago, and so far, no one at all has asked to see my card.

Not when I went my doctor for a checkup. Not when I went to the medical center for an endoscopy. Not when I went to the blood drive to donate.

They all just took my word for it. And I’m not happy about it. Just sayin’. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I typed the lot information and dates into my main medical portal. I received separate cards for each vax, and doubt that any booster would have to be added to these particular cards.

I have no advice as to the usefulness of a damaged vaccine card. I will note that our good friends at Amazon (and maybe others) have a wide variety of selves to protect said card, both styles, prices, and quantities, while preserving the ability to document ant future boosters. An order of 25 was enough for me and those I care most about. Amazon.com : covid vaccination card holder

(Bold added.) Don’t expect that to last. Depending on what kind of ink was used (was it hand-written with a ball-point pen?) the ink is likely to bleed and blur gradually over a period of several days or weeks.

Maybe, but not true of my diary from 1975. Some pens and pages have a little bleed, but everything is still easily legible.

I’ve seen these advertised in various places. However, they only seem to be available in multi-packs, and I only need one sleeve for myself.

Sorry, lemme clarify. I was referring specifically to the ink on your greased card. The grease is likely to dissolve the ink and it will bleed all over the greasy area of the card.

Oh, yeah, that I could see!

I suspect the reason is it just isn’t economical to sell just one. Amazon has a 2 pack, but it’s the same price as a 5 pack. A single one would probably cost the same.

I think there should be more clear and strong advice for people to make sure their vaccinations are made a part of their primary care medical records. Send the information to your doctor’s office and ask that it be documented there.

As mentioned, the card is a reference for you, to provide information about where and when you were vaccinated, and with what lot numbers. Showing the card is a way of conveying that information, but it should not be taken as “proof,” nor should providing the same information in a different format be considered a problem – though in practical terms, I know it will be.

There should not be an issue about “fake” cards, because there’s nothing special about the card. The issue is faked information. If you’re not vaccinated, and you write something on a blank card to represent that you are vaccinated, that’s a problem. If someone accurately copies their actual vaccination info onto a fresh blank card, I’m not seeing how that would be a problem.

ETA: In my state, there are benefits starting to emerge where you need to show your card. Vaccinated only seating sections, not having to wear a mask in certain indoor settings, so far. I’m sure more are coming.