Apologies if this has been done before, but it seems appropriate during the current and final Futurama marathon on Cartoon Network.
Jakeline and I have been catching the marathon here and there, and we were discussing our ranking of the sad puppy* episodes. Here’s my Top 5 list, with most sad being #1 (synopses provided by Wikipedia, although I suppose most of you will recognize the episodes by the titles):
“Jurassic Bark” – Fry discovers his dog Seymour is being exhibited in a museum as a fossil, and takes it to Professor Farnsworth’s lab to be revived. However, Bender is displeased with the lack of attention he has been receiving and becomes increasingly jealous of Seymour’s fossil.
“The Sting” – A mission to collect honey from deadly space bees apparently leads to Fry’s sting-induced death. Leela is wracked with remorse, until Fry visits her in her dreams. As Leela’s hallucinations intensify, she begins to suspect that she might be going crazy.
“Parasites Lost” – When Fry becomes infested with parasitic worms that make him stronger and smarter, he finally finds the perfect way to profess his feelings to Leela. Meanwhile, the rest of the crew goes on a Fantastic Voyage-esque journey into Fry’s body to eradicate the worms.
“The Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings” – Desperate to learn how to play the holophonor in order to impress Leela, Fry swaps hands with the Robot Devil. He goes on to become a skilled holophonor player, winning Leela’s heart and penning an opera about her life story, but the Robot Devil still has a trick or two up his sleeve.
“The Luck of the Fryrish” – After a string of bad luck, Fry ventures into the decaying ruins of Old New York to regain his lucky seven-leaf clover from his childhood, only to find that his brother Yancy Fry had stolen not only the clover, but Fry’s identity as well. Fry sets out to exhume his brother’s body, but discovers the startling truth about Yancy instead.
Now, my logic.
- Jurassic Bark is a clear winner in this category. Probably the only comical cartoon that has ever made grown men want to cry. 'Nough said.
- Although the Bee Episode has a technically happy ending, watching Leela lose her sanity, and eventually her will to live, is sad and often disturbing.
- Poor Fry. Here Fry finally has the ability to win Leela over, but also has the nobility to forego it once he understands why. The episode doesn’t have a sad vibe to it throughout, but the point of it is kind of depressing when you’re rooting for him.
- Similar idea to #3. Who here hasn’t been willing to cut off his or her own hands to win over their true love? Funny episode, and the over-the-top operatic aspect takes away a lot of the sadness, but still, it gets you right here, ya know?
- Despite how things turn out, it’s still sad to see Fry get picked on so badly.
So what are your rankings, and why?
*The term “sad puppy” isn’t there because of my #1 choice. Jakeline and I used to watch “Emergency Vets” on Animal Planet, which we took to calling the “sad puppy show” because of its contents. So now any show that makes us sad is a sad puppy show.