Rantus Augustus (mini rants)

Awww, Tabitha is such a cutie! Doesn’t mean she’s innocent, of course.

Strong storms yesterday Powers been out since 9 last night. Was a quiet evening afterwards except for nature sounds. Windows open nice breeze. Ah. Step outside this morning. No more nature sounds but a near deafening hum from generators. And my rant is the freaking diesel smell permeating this beautiful morning. outside It stinks it’s loud. I have to go down the stairs to the lake to fetch water to flush (49 steps!!) and there’s no potable water in the house to make coffee. I’ll survive.

I’ve noted that there seems to be a lot of overlap between the people who refuse to wear a mask and people who are ardent supporters of concealed carry. I guess in their brand of “logic” thinking you have to carry a gun everywhere you go isn’t “living in fear.”

She’s very much not innocent. That picture was taken a couple of years ago after she knocked down a plant from the top of a bookcase. She waited until her owners (my housemates) went on their honeymoon before pulling that one. They were on vacation at the beach last week, so maybe she was upset that Her People were gone. Don’t know why she took it out on me, though.

My mom ventured out to a grocery store on her own this week. All was well until checkout, when the cashier cut her hand on something but didn’t realize it. Naturally, my mom freaked when she saw blood-smeared items entering the bagging area. The cashier assured her that it was fine, that she wasn’t sick or anything. :tired_face: While the incident was witnessed by a manager, nothing was wiped down for some reason, leaving my mother to deal with cleanup at home. She bleached the hell out of everything, but found that two small note pads she had purchased got smeared too. She doesn’t even want new ones; she just wants her money back.

And, of course, now she’s too anxious to set foot in a grocery store. :frowning:

A huge cherry tree got knocked down in a storm the other day, with part of the trunk on our horse’s fence.

Woke up, ate breakfast, and have been chainsawing since 9 am. The tree cracked some other big limbs on the way down, so I’ve been working carefully trying to not get killed as limbs continue to fall.

Fair warning: if you buy paint at Lowe’s (at least the one near us) you will no longer be given stirring sticks. My daughter bought 7 gallons of paint for her new house, then she had to shell out for a 10-pack of stirring sticks.

Really? The mind boggles.

Wow! A few years ago, I bought a couple of ‘test’ containers of paint to complete a small project, and they gave me three or four wooden stirring sticks. (They had LOWE’S printed all over them.)

:snerk: aww how could such a cute kitty with such big innocent eyes do such a thing :snerk:

I know the little monsters can do such things as often as possible …

That’s eighteen hundred kinds of messed up. I’d raise hell with corporate, at minimum.

Agreed.

I’d also suggest talking to the local Dept. of Public Health. There are very stringent requirements for handling exposure to blood in the workplace or any place of public accommodation. They call them ‘Blood Borne Pathogens for a reason. The Manager of that store needs to get a call from Public Health.

I suggested both; she knows enough people at this store (including in management) that she’s worried about them getting in trouble. :disappointed:

They should get in trouble! They put members of the public at risk as well as themselves and their coworkers. There’s a reason we have laws about this.

ETA: Half the problems with this country are caused because people “don’t want to be a snitch” or “don’t want to get someone in trouble.” If you don’t speak up, they will never change and things will get worse.

Use your voice!

I sent in a piece of equipment for repair and just received back a bunch of parts. Am I supposed to do the repair? I thought I hired them to do it. They sure invoiced me $2000 like they did the repair! I’m curious what sort of reply I will get to my somewhat civil email asking just that.

Damn. Used the chainsaw all day Saturday. One huge limb was barely hanging onto the tree, giving occasional cccccracks, making us move to safety. I eventually cleared other wood away and tied a rope to the limb. I had my gf pull on the rope while I cut away part of the limb that was supporting its weight.

When the limb came down, it fell fast and hard. My gf let go of the rope just in time, but almost had a loop of rope ensnare her ankle.

Oh, shit! Glad she’s okay, man.

There are times the best tool for the job is a wallet.

I hear ya.

I originally went out to see if I could make things good enough for the horses to be let out into the pasture. Cherry tree leaves are toxic if enough are ingested, so I was just going to try to get small branches and their leaves cleaned up. Then we would call the tree service we use for big trees. But the day was cool and I was impressed by how much we got done in a few hours. I just kept pushing it.

Glad that’s all it came to … count yer blessings, and all that shit.

Wandered by to complain about teenage boys & their unholy metabolisms. I almost never have to deal with them - I deliberately avoided having kids - but I recently adopted a wonderful kitty cat, and he’s handsome and sweet and cuddly and has thumbs y’all, I love him to death … but jeebus on toast, the food bowl is constantly empty & the litter box is constantly full, and unless he’s passed out cold or snuggling with me, he’s knocking something over or running around like a dummy or just generally causing untold mischief.

Good thing he’s so insanely loveable, and that I picked him out just for me.

Yeah, but have you named him yet? There’s a whole thread waiting for an answer!