Raquel Welch has died

‘According to family members, Raquel died this morning after a brief illness.’

Some other links:

I had the impression she had a much stronger status as a sex symbol than as an actress. How good of an actress was she?

Damn.
This is starting to get serious.

Oh no! She was a favorite.

Rest in Peace, Raquel.

I know. First Jeff Beck, then David Crosby and now Raquel. Give it a rest, aging celebrities, why don’t you?

They are?

RIP Fuzzy Britches.

What a woman!

I think that that’s an accurate impression, at least of what her reputation was, particularly early in her career, when she was primarily in roles (and movies) specifically for her looks.

She did win a Golden Globe, for The Three Musketeers (1974), though that was primarily a comedic role, and her character was a sexy airhead (so, she was playing to type). Later in her career, she was nominated for another Golden Globe, this time for a dramatic role in a TV movie (Right to Die, 1987), and received critical praise for her acting there. But, largely, she played light roles, usually playing to her image.

She was a sex symbol, and she knew it. She tried serious acting a bit, but it didn’t pan out.

Let us not forget she played the role of Lust in Bedazzled, which Peter Cook and Dudley Moore wanted to just name Raquel Welch is Lust!

She also appeared on The Muppet Show and sang a duet with Miss Piggy. So definitely a sex symbol.

Hot toast or buttered buns?

She’s undoubtedly the best of the personifications of the seven deadly sins in that film, and the only name in the cast that Americans would have known. I thought she did her main scene, breakfast in bed with Stanley Moon, with panache (all I remember from her other appearances in the film was some dispirited dancing).

Her other movie I liked was her playing basically herself (with an added twist of being, I think, something of a kleptomaniac) in The Last of Sheila. She was very believable.

I hope she invested her salaries and residuals well, and had a comfortable retirement.

According to this link her net worth was around $40 million when she died.

Never much of an actress in her prime, but it never seemed to matter. Along with One Million Years BC, Bedazzled and the Musketeers movies, she’s okay in Fantastic Voyage - though she doesn’t have much to do besides get attacked by antibodies - and Animal (1977), a silly French comedy about movie stuntpeople with some good bits (and homophobic “humor”). Her outdoor shower scene in 100 Rifles (1969) should have been a showstopper, but she wore clothes (WTF?) Her finest performance imo is The Magic Christian (1969), though it’s only a cameo; and while Myra Breckinridge (1970) is a terrible movie, I think its awfulness has overshadowed Ms. Welch’s fine comic performance, arguably her best leading role sans dinosaurs.

Yes, she conveyed a rueful sadness at her character’s reputation in the business (as in life, as being more a ‘sex symbol’ than an actress). A nice performance.

Condolences to her family, friends, and fans.

She probably never contributed to the SDMB, but really there was no better poster.

Funny, having seen that as an adolescent, I remembered Dyan Cannon as the hottie from that flick!

I enjoyed Raquel’s role in Seinfeld, tho it didn’t require great acting chops.

I liked her playing the wronged woman in the old west who was out for revenge, as in “Hannie Calder” (with Robert Culp as her mentor and Ernest Borgnine chewing the scenery as the bad guy), “100 Rifles” (with Burt Reynolds and ex-football star Jim Brown), and “Bandolero” (with Jimmy Stewart and Dean Martin). The R-rated outdoor shower scene in “100 Rifles” really carbonated my youthful hormones.

I liked her as a mean-spirited bitch in Seinfeld.

RIP!

You. :smiley:

Raquel Welch’s death caught me a little sideways. I was a kid when I became aware of her, and I credit her with sparking my awareness that sexuality was a thing. To go from there to her demise was a jolt.

RIP, pretty lady.

I remember Raquel Welch early movies. They were entertaining at the time.

RIP