Rare Concert Recordings Resurface!

Music promoter Bill Graham’s collection is going on line.

Here’s the short list of performers:

If you check out the full list, the ‘A’ section is about 10 times as long as that. I can’t find anything that says if they’ll be selling copies of the recordings any time soon (they do sell posters and the like).

Yes, indeed. Been listening for a couple of months. Every Tuesday morning (at 8 a.m. Pacific time) they change the playlist - in the neighborhood of seven hours worth.(!) True, some of the songs are those that have already been released on “XXX Live at the Fillmore” or “Live at Winterland” albums, but their FAQ promises that 80 percent of them won’t.

I’ve saved playlists (look for the button labeled “in rotation”) since I started listening 23 weeks ago, and there are some artists which are very well represented (Dylan both with The Band and with the Rolling Thunder Review, Neil Young with Dylan and The Band, with Crazy Horse and with CSNY, tons of Grateful Dead) and others less so (so far).

But there have been some truly amazing unreleased bits surface; the current week (edition of 7/18) features “Bye, Bye Baby” as done by Elvin Bishop and It’s a Beautiful Day, and Frank Zappa and the Mothers covering The Turtles’ “Happy Together.” All that, and a 16-minute version of “Smokestack Lightning” by Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Highly recommended, and it’s free. This is the Real Deal

If you really enjoyed the Zappa/Mothers Happy together its on his Filmore East, June 1971 album

And of course, 3/5 of the Turtles were in the Mothers at the time (Mark Volman, Howard Kaylan, and Jim Pons), so it’s hardly even a cover.