Rarest last name in America

Both my kids have unique last names, as it’s hyphenated. They’re it. I bet they’re others.

There’s 17 Planktons in Dallas alone!

:smiley:

My last name is Greek. When my grandfather came over from Greece, the folks at Ellis Island took one look at his last name and said Americans can’t pronounce that. They created a shortened version that didn’t have so many consonants in a row at the front and fewer confusing vowel combinations in the middle. The end result is very short and simple. In 1936 there were only two people in the U.S. with that last name, my grandfather and his brother. They got married and had children and their children got married and had children, etc. so now there’s a fair number of us, but everyone int he U.S. with that last name is related.

My name isn’t on the list in Kimmy_Gibbler’s link, which doesn’t surprise me. I know there are less than 100 of us (probably somewhere between 20 and 30).

Completely by coincidence, there is a chain of hotels in Finland with the exact same name (obviously though it comes from a completely different derivation).

280 of us in the US, though one is currently in the process of reproducing, so in about 2 months there will be 281 :stuck_out_tongue: and we are all related.

There are more of the surname in Europe, and many of them seem to be involved with mathematics. Pity it isn’t genetic, my maths skills suck ass :frowning:

Yes, I am wondering how people proved to themselves their surnames are very rare ?

Their distant cousins may have travelled to the USA separately and work as police officers, FBI , NSA or something else secretive.
Its hard to know about the none-existance of something.

My surname came from England but its not spelt the same there. It was changed upon arrive in Australia, due to there already being enough French Irish of the same surname, my family with the same name in Australia spell it the french way too.

According to this Washington Post article from a few years ago, there are about 20 Obama families in the United States. Most of them have Equatorial Guinean roots, but a few are Japanese.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-11-28/news/36916930_1_names-rise-inauguration-tickets-graduate-student

Since the letters X,Y,and Z are the rarest letters in the English language, I would expect that surnames starting with these to be rare. How many “Zeltzers” do you know?

It says 117 people with my father’s last name.

1161 with my stepfather’s.

There an NBA player with the last name World Peace, although as far as i can tell, it isnt clear whether his middle name is World and his last name Peace. He might be the ony one.

None, but I used to know quite a few Zimmermanns. Pennsylvania, you know. (Also Youngs and Yoders.)

Searches have indicated that if there are at most a handful of people with my last name in the US who are not descendants of my paternal grandfather. Since he had two sons, who have between them five descendants who both 1) live in the US and 2) still use that last name, that makes it a quite rare surname in the US. In Germany and Austria, it appears to be uncommon, but not freakishly rare.

My daughter’s is hyphenated too, making her the only person in the world with that last name.

I also do stupid research for sake of a GQ joke (I think that’s what you did :)) and sometimes come up with interesting stuff.

Mark of a GQ-er, I think.

I saw that too … lots of Asians with last names like Delacruz or De Leon. (Or at least a greater percentage than one would expect.) My guess is that they’re Filipino.

I know at least one.

I checked my name on that site. I tried both the standard nickname for my first name, and the full one (Bob and Robert, for instance). It came up with a total of 20 people in the US.

I find that a little hard to believe, since there is another person in the same city I live in with the same name - we even go to two of the same doctors. And both my first and last name are fairly common - I don’t think anyone in the USA would be surprised by either one. It’s certainly not a name you’d use in code to save money on a phone call.

So…I think the site may underestimate the numbers a bit.

My Step Father’s surname is Gremo, he emigrated to Canada from England in 1959, leaving behind a sister who married and took an new name. He has two adult sons, one in Toronto, the other in Beijing, my mother who took his name making for three Gremos in Canada.

Occasional searches have never found any other Gremos in North America or England. Last year another Gremo in Austalia contacted them and has been putting together family history. Apparently the family originates from Malta, where there are still a few, plus one family in Australia.

Its a rare name.

I remember a category in the Guinness. The rarest contrived name was Zachary ZZZZ____. There were four Z’s at the start of his last name. He wanted his name to appear at the bottom of the phone listing.

Wow. By a weird coincidence I knew a family growing up that had a variant spelling of that last name (all girls though, so so much for that).

My own last name has under 600 people in the US with it.

I gotta go with Hitler.

There are 22 Hitlers listed in the WhitePages, including seven Adolfs.