Rate the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Rate the movies from 1 to 10. Please add comments if you like. I will.

Movie, US Release Date, Director(s)

Phase One (6 movies)

Iron Man May 2, 2008 Jon Favreau

0 voters

0 voters

Iron Man 2 May 7, 2010 Jon Favreau

0 voters

Thor May 6, 2011 Kenneth Branagh

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

Phase Two (6 movies)

Iron Man 3 May 3, 2013 Shane Black

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

Ant-Man Jul 17, 2015 Peyton Reed

0 voters

Phase Three (11 movies)

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

Avengers: Infinity War Apr 27, 2018 Anthony and Joe Russo

0 voters

0 voters

0 voters

Avengers: Endgame Apr 26, 2019 Anthony and Joe Russo

0 voters

Spider-Man: Far From Home Jul 2, 2019 Jon Watts

0 voters

Phase Four (2 movies so far)

0 voters

0 voters

Eternals Nov 5, 2021 Chloé Zhao

0 voters

Upcoming Phase Four Films:

Post two will have the Disney + TV shows.

The Disney+ TV series:

WandaVision March 5, 2021 Matt Shakman

0 voters

0 voters

Loki July 14, 2021 Kate Herron

0 voters

What If…? October 6, 2021 Bryan Andrews

0 voters

This was also a test of doing a lot of polls in a single thread. Turns out each poll needs a unique name in the post at least.
example: [poll name=”TV4” type=number results=always min=1 max=10 step=1]

Hawkeye December 22, 2021 Rhys Thomas, Bert & Bertie

0 voters

Huh. I know it’s early voting, but a remarkable number of my choices were less than a point from the average. Though clearly I liked WandaVision more than some of y’all.

On the TV series, I really enjoyed Wanda. But I love old sitcoms. (9)

I loved the fact Falcon & The Snowman (I mean Winter Soldier) made two minor characters interesting and thought it was pretty well done. (7)

I thought Loki was just about perfect and gave it a 10.

I didn’t enjoy What If, though it concluded strong. (3)

So I wasn’t a big fan of the 1st 4 movies. I thought Iron Man was the best of the 4 and still mediocre at best. Thor is easily one of the most boring action films ever. The Hulk was just a mess.

But I loved Captain America: The First Avenger and Marvel’s The Avengers

They captured everything great about Cap for his movie. It had a lot of funny lines. You can’t go wrong having Nazis as the bad guys in a movie.

Avengers pulled these characters together really well. It turns out the insufferable Tony Stark plays great against Thor & Cap. Hulk’s “Puny God” line might be the best line in the entire Marvel Universe. It was just a really well done movie and a lesson in how to bring characters togethers.

Iron Man 3 was terrible, Thor was too boring to sit through.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a fun movie, not as good as the first, but a lot of fun.
I had no expectations for Guardians of the Galaxy, a group I didn’t know existed. This movie ran on funny and reminded me of The Blues Brothers. I loved the characters and how they interacted. A very nice surprise.
Avengers: Age of Ultron had no shortage of problems but was a fun ride.
Ant-Man is another than ran very well on funny. A fun ride and enjoyable.

For the Phase One movies:

• When Iron Man was announced, my initial thoughts were: “Robert Downey Jr. is being perfectly cast for this role,” and “I give it 50/50 odds that Downey makes it through production without getting into trouble.” I loved the film, and Downey was, of course, brilliant as Tony Stark.
  • I was never a big Hulk fan, and I’ve only seen the film once. It had a few good moments, but is otherwise not memorable for me.
  • Iron Man 2 was a bit of a let-down, after the first film, but it did introduce Black Widow, and Sam Rockwell was fun as Justin Hammer.
  • I probably rate Thor significantly higher than most people, because Thor was always one of my favorite Marvel books, and because I thought it did a good job of capturing the feel of Walt Simonson’s run on the book. Also, we saw Tom Hiddleston as Loki for the first time, and he was another example of brilliant casting in the role.
  • I was skeptical about Chris Evans being cast as Steve Rogers in Captain America: The First Avenger, because I was mostly familiar with him as the immature punk, Johnny Storm, in the bad Fantastic Four films. But, I was blown away by this one: Evans was just as perfect a fit in his role as Downey was, the supporting cast was also great (particularly Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter), and it gave us a great origin story, while also setting the stage for the overarching MCU story.
  • Marvel’s The Avengers does an excellent job of giving every one of the heroes their story beats and moments in the spotlight, and takes great advantage of Hiddleston as the scenery-chewing villain of the piece. As a Whedon production, it has very witty writing, and memorable lines. And, Mark Ruffalo was, I think, an upgrade over Ed Norton as Bruce Banner/the Hulk.

Looks like I am pretty close to the average in many, although I liked Wandavision, Black Widow, and Captain America: First Avenger a lot more than average, and Loki and Guardians 1 a lot less.

Loki suffers by being the central character. He lost any traits of god of mischief and became Joe Protagonist Rescued by Love. Bleah.

I rated almost everything a couple points higher than the average. The only things I rated significantly lower than average were Black Panther and Captain Marvel, which is making me question my politics.

Almost my ratings exactly, except for the last one - I gave What If? a ten. I found the whole series delightful, and felt it executed on its premise perfectly.

I still haven’t seen any of the Phase 4 movies.

I didn’t approach it as an action film (because Brannagh), and I was not bored at all.

Although Captain America is the standout Phase 1 film for me.

I clearly loved Captain Marvel and Black Panther way more than the average.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen the TV series or the last 2 movies.

Slightly surprised Ant-Man & The Wasp didn’t rate higher. I thought it was an excellent film, one of Marvel’s best.

Same here. I get people might not be huge fans of the Ant-Man series, but Ant-Man 2 is clearly better than 1.

Also not getting the hate for Iron Man 3. Lower than Iron Man 2? It’s such a fun movie.

Glad to see I’m not alone in my love for Thor: Ragnarok; the best Hulk movie ever made.

That was a fun movie, ran on comedy. It had Dark Galadriel (Hela) and of course the Immigrant Song Bridge fight scene.

Basically an awesome action/comedy. (I actually gave it a 10)

I also ran within a point of most choices on the films. Interesting consensus.

Haven’t seen the TV shows which is no indictment on their quality, I just don’t watch much TV at home.

I found that a lot of my votes were pretty close to the poll averages, but where I was off, I was really off:

Guardians of the Galaxy (+2.36 versus poll average)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (-2)
Black Panther (+2.13)
Captain Marvel (+2.95)

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (+3.65)
Loki (-2.67)
What If…? (+1.52)

I’m genuinely surprised to see Ragnarok at the top of the polls. And I gave it a 10.

Avengers is #2 which doesn’t surprise me.

I recently rewatched Captain Marvel and…it was pretty much the same. Entertaining but nothing special, and it could have used some more punch and character-building for her.

We waited how many movies for “Immigrant Song?” That bridge scene made it all worth the wait.

I think CA: Winter Soldier is a huge step up from CA: First Avenger and I like the latter movie a lot.

I’d put Endgame as #1, but Thor Ragnarok is probably my second favorite Marvel movie.

My internal (subjective) ratings are more

• I loved it
  • I really, really liked it a lot
  • Yeah, it’s ok
  • Thor - the Dark World

I liked Ironman 3 better than a lot of you. But for the most part, I’m pretty much in line with the general consensus.