Rate Yourself: Lurker, Poster, Thread Starter

How do you figure out the statistics? I can’t do simple math at all.

Since July 30, 2001, Started 54 threads. 3768 posts.

If I did the math correctly, 1.4% if my posts were threads I started.

I’m a burst-poster. I’ll go weeks (months) without posting, then for a week or to at a time I’ll post two to three times a day… then back to lurking status. Anyone else?

Your question has caused me to reconsider the whole issue. What I have done before was to add the two numbers (Post Count + Number of Threads Started) and then divide whichever of them by that total to get the percentage for whichever. In your case 3768 + 54 = 3822. And 54 / 3822 = .014128, or 1.4% as you calculated.

But it took you one of your posts to start each thread, so 54 of the 3768 were thread-starting posts, and they oughtn’t be counted twice. So the 3768 really ought to be the total and 54 / 3768 = .014331 or 1.4% as you calculated.

In this case there’s no appreciable difference (none as far as the rounded percentage goes), but with a much larger Thread Starting Count the difference in calculations would begin to matter.

Then there’s the added concern of how many of your posts were in your own threads, which those raw numbers couldn’t decide by themselves. Could they?

Is anybody else puzzled by this?

Yea…thats the formula I used, but everyone else had these numbers like 20/79/1 and I assumed I did something wrong.

I’m about 50-50 with threads I think might be interesting and read and those that I actually post to. My thread starting percentage is pretty low. I became a cop so I wouldn’t have to do math.

40% Lurker, 59.4% Poster, 0.6% Thread starter.

Yeah, that feels about right.

95% lurker, 4% poster, 1% thread starter.

I think I will go with 10/70/20… lurker/poster/thread starter…
there are a few times I come on the dope and don’t post or start a thread, I just lurk a little, check things out, and am not motivated enough to actually post… But most of the time when I come on the dope I read and then post, there have only been a few times when I have actually started a thread, but they did go well!