Rates of domestic abuse within gay relationships

Are they higher than straight relationships?

People tell me they are more violent, and abusive.
Is it true.

http://www.lambda.org/DV_background.htm

also
http://www.runet.edu/~tburke/Burke/exploration.pdf

Feel free to ignore.
[Pet peeve] At least give a synopsis of your answer. Don’t give out homework assignments. Links are used as a cite for your answer. They are not an answer. [/pet peeve]

The answers are in the first few lines, in fairness.

If the second link had been in HTML rather than PDF, I would have copied the relevant sentence.
My bad.

A 6.6% response rate? A cite to Cameron? The second link is crap.

I have a couple of statistics from the UK:

Further down the page there this link to a .pdf from the National Coalition of Anti-violence Programs in New York called Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Domestic Violence: 2003 Supplement: http://www.avp.org/publications/reports/2003ncavpdvrpt.pdf

By way of comparison:

These numbers are for the US, of course, and for the population as a whole, not just straight people.

Here is a link to information on similarities and differences of domestic violence in opposite- and same-gender couples.

Hey, I told you it was just a pet peeve that could be ignored. I might be in the minority but some of us are working with firewalls that seem to pick things at random to block. And I don’t think I’m the only one who doesn’t like clicking on a link before they know what is in it or where it is going. On the other hand, maybe I am the only one.

In my decade plus as a police officer I have been to dozens of domestic violence calls. I can’t even guess as to the exact number. Using the term DV to mean everything from a verbal dispute up to murder. Out of all those calls maybe less than twenty were with gay couples (it does include one murder). I draw no conclusions from this since it is by no means scientific. I don’t know how many people are living with a same sex partner in town or any other hard data to come up with a conclusion.

Does cannibalism count as domestic abuse?

For what it’s worth, I agree. It’s not that difficult to say “This cite says yes” before a link, at the very least. I’m not asking for much, but I’d like to be able to read a thread with a few responses and get the basic idea of what people are arguing without clicking on every link.

It depends. Was the cannibalism postmortem or is the meal taken from a live person? Was it voluntary? If not it is assault, see below.

If the meal came from a dead person, was it murder? If it was natural causes then no. If it was suicide, no. If it was murder see below.

Murder and assault are obviously crimes. In order for them to be crimes under domestic violence it must meet some criteria. It will vary from state to state but to use New Jersey as an example:

A victim of domestic violence is a person protected by the Domestic Violence Act (including abuse and neglect of the elderly and disabled) and includes any person:

a)who is 18 years of age or older, or

b)who is an emancipated minor, and who has been subjected to domestic violence by:
1)spouse
2)former spouse
3)any other person who is a present or former household member, OR

c)who regardless of age, has been subjected to domestic violence by a person:
1)with whom the victim has had a child in common, or
2)with whom the victim has had a dating relationship.

d)who, regardless of age, has been subjected to domestic violence by a person with whom the victim has had a dating relationship.
1)a victim may be below the age of 18.
2)a domestic violence assailant must be over the age of 18 or emancipated at the time of the offense.

The crimes which fall under the domestic violence act are:

Homicide N.J.S.A. 2C:11-1
Assault N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1
Terroristic threats N.J.S.A. 2C:12-3
Kidnapping N.J.S.A. 2C:13-1
Criminal Restraint N.J.S.A. 2C:13-2
False imprisonment N.J.S.A. 2C:13-3
Sexual assault N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2
Lewdness N.J.S.A. 2C:14-4
Criminal sexual contact N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3
Criminal mischief N.J.S.A. 2C:17-3
Burglary N.J.S.A. 2C:18-2
Criminal trespass N.J.S.A. 2C:18-3
Harassment N.J.S.A. 2C:33-4
Stalking N.J.S.A. 2C:12-10

No cannibalism.
Or was that not a serious question?

If you have been ingested, why isn’t that “False Imprisonment”?

I think it depends on the person’s gender. If I eat a man, he could be my partner. If I eat a woman, it’s only because there’s no man available, and I’m really really really hungry. :stuck_out_tongue:

The New Jersey legal definition of False Imprisonment is like kidnapping light. It is a temporary situation where you fear for your safety or are forced to stay somewhere against your will. If OJ had done his crime in NJ he probably would have been found guilty of this much more minor charge. Nevada’s laws are different. Maybe if the suspect threw up after eating the victim.