Rating Star Trek finales

Agreed on DS9.

For Enterprise, my head canon is that the holonovel version of events is heavily fictionalized and not at all accurate. A modern-day example would be Black Hawk Down. Mark Bowden interviewed a lot of soldiers and locals to get the story and there are still blanks in there (as Navy SEALs are not a talkative bunch) despite his excellent research. And then Ridley Scott comes along to make a 144 minute action movie out of the book. Accuracy goes right out the window (for example, the movie has one big scene with Little Birds strafing but the book indicates that they were strafing constantly).

So it goes with Enterprise. Trip and Archer get into a drunken fistfight over who is hotter, T’Pol or Hoshi and this gets fictionalized into Trip decking Archer so he can go sacrifice himself. Some ensign in engineering singes his uniform on a loose plasma conduit and this gets fictionalized into Trip blowing himself up to save the ship. Shran visits with his adorable, snarky daughter and this gets fictionalized into Shran visiting while the ship was being attacked by pirates! And so on…

Like I said, Terra Prime is the real finale. Amazing episode where Archer actually gives the speech instead of just fretting about it all episode. Character moments for everyone, even Mayweather! Peter Goddamn Weller as the villain (and he was so good in that role he was recast as an Admiral Evil in Star Trek Into Darkness)! Enterprise was not the best Star Trek series but everyone once in a while they knocked it out the park and this was one of those episodes.

Yes, they opened up a resort there, so there was actually a reason for all the visitors to show up in the later tv movies.
And I know Spock’s Brain gets a lot of grief, and it is a bit goofy, but I like it much better than some of the “other” stinkers (including Turnabout Intruder).

It’s a lot easier to pick out the best episodes of the third season, since there were so many others that just sucked.

My favorite is “Spectre of the Gun,” since it’s the one most science-fictioney. It’s so surreal, it’s almost like watching an episode of Twilight Zone, one instance of ***TOS ***turning its budget cuts to good advantage.

Other good ones are “Day of the Dove,” “The Tholian Web,” and “That Which Survives.” And yes, I’ll even go along with “Spock’s Brain,” just because they have to figure out how to track it down before they can restore it. I like Uhura’s line “Why do they want Mr Spock’s brain? What use is it to them?”

Don’t forget “The Enterprise Incident”. I’ve always wanted to use the Vulcan Death Grip. :smiley:

That was about the only good thing in that episode. The story is full of holes big enough to fly a starship through. :mad:

ALL Star Trek episodes have plot holes. Big ones. That’s why the Nitpicker’s Guide to Star Trek was written. Complaining about Star Trek plot holes is like complaining about MASH* timeline inconsistencies. :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is exactly what happened in canon. The Q set up the test, and John Q-lancie set up the time travel so Picard would have a chance at solving it.

Every show’s episodes have plot holes. Not just Star Trek. Cop shows, westerns, medical shows, Gilligan’s Island…

I never understood it as a kid. It broke my brain.

"Wait…‘we’ crossed into the Neutral Zone on purpose? STOLE their cloaking device?’

The fuhhh.

“We were *sent *there … with no plan as to how to *accomplish *this mission, or how to get away once the deed was done.”

And if that makes *no *sense to you, it makes even less sense to me. But then, I didn’t *write *this episode. Did anyone? :confused:

But the test made no sense. The anomaly got bigger going backwards in time. So, they went to see it and it wasn’t there. They realized that it was a paradox and went back to see it again and lo and behold, there it was, big as day. Only it shouldn’t have been because it only gets bigger going backwards in time.

Yeah, I hated that “it’s not there and then when the plot says it can be there now, suddenly it’s there now” thing.

Terentii, you are right and I was wrong. I visited some friends last weekend. They have Amazon Prime and I was able to watch both episodes.

“Children” is average at best, but the plot was much better than I remembered. They also got good performances out of the child actors.

“Plato’s Stepchildren” is in a race with “The Mark of Gideon” for the bottom of the barrel, and I think it will win. “The Mark of Gideon” is just boring; “Plato’s Stepchildren” sucks so bad it threatens to blow a hole in the space-time continuum.

It’s the logic in “Mark of Gideon” that gets me: “We value life so highly we won’t practice birth control. So we’re going to give everybody a fatal disease instead.”

Huh? :confused:

Assuming it’s possible to duplicate the *Enterprise * and all its contents precisely enough to fool Kirk, where did they find the room on their overcrowded planet to build a replica 947’ long and 416’ wide? :dubious:

Yeeesh! Even more plot holes than in “The Enterprise Incident.” :mad:

Your favorite moment in “Plato’s Stepchildren”: “Bitter dregs” or “I’m Tweedle-Dum, he’s Tweedle-Dee”*? :dubious:

*How the hell did a bunch from Ancient Greece know about these two? :confused:

That’s why they were all packed together so tightly out the windows. The Faunterprise took up all their living space!

It’s been [del]not long enough[/del] a long time since I’ve watched that one. What does making Kirk run around an empty ship accomplish, if all they want to do is steal his disease?

Making a fake Enterprise that seems to have fooled Kirk requires a LOT of specialized knowledge. Let alone “36 Hours” type things like 'hey, I scratched the paint here, and the scratch is gone", or “the captain’s chair sags on the left side”, I bet the ship “feels” different. Things they just get used to, but couldn’t be duplicated, like how the artificial gravity feels, how the air smells, how long the doors take to open. And if you can’t get that, maybe you need a new plan.

I realize now I should have said *lack *of logic… :rolleyes:

I couldn’t help but notice the way they were all dressed in those hoodie-outfits. They looked like the sperm cells in that Woody Allen movie. :rolleyes:

They could always take the “Taste of Armageddon” approach and simply incinerate random people.

How did they know enough about modern technology to manipulate a starship? My favorite moment was “The End.”

You’re also right about “The Mark of Gideon.”

Telekenesis. Just think about something and it’s done. :rolleyes:

Besides, the Platonians were originally space travelers themselves. Manipulating a Federation starship couldn’t have been all that difficult for them.

This part actually makes sense, believe it or not. :frowning: