RATM for UK Xmas #1 - Potential social media coup, but how?

Bonus points for Simon Cowell, who’s on the Sony payroll, and thus got even richer by stoking the fires of the the controversy (I’m assuming he did, he’s a clever dick).

People, people - Everyone already knew about the Sony connections and irony of the lyrics. If people really thought it was about anti-capitalism, it wouldn’t be at number one.

Everyone I know who bought it, did it simply because they are bored of the X-Factor nonsense and wanted to see what the TV/radio would do about the explicit lyrics.

Exactly. This ohh so clever meme about how people are being fools and just sucking on a different tit on the same animal is bollocks IMO.

People just didn’t want the winner of the xfactor to have a number 1 again. There was a stage when the race for the xmas #1 in the UK was fun and interesting. Since xfactor and before that the idol shows it’s become boring and predictable. I’d rather see Cliff Richard get another one than the xfactor winner.

Hopefully this becomes a yearly event or some big band comes out with a true xmas song like they used to back in the day, Slade and Wizard being the best examples of this.

You mean to tell me that people are covering Miley Cyrus songs?

Yep. That’s how bad it’s gotten.

I think some people are getting whooshed by the whole “stick it to the piggies” theme. That whole angle is tongue in cheek. Everybody gets the irony. It isn’t clever to point it out.

That was my thought too. Are there really people out there who really want to buy some talent show contestent’s remake of an insipid teeny-bopper song that was moderately popular with children like 6 months ago? Who are the people who buy this shite? Are they adults? I wouldn’t have thought it was possible to have worst taste in music than to buy Miley Cyrus music, but I guess it is.

Heh.

Mashup

http://www.rathergood.com/climb

Hah! Love the last two seconds.

Please tell me they were speeding that up, and that guy’s voice doesn’t really sound like that.

I didn’t think it was being clever, and I didn’t realise everything I said was a meme. I just think giving more money to Sony through some phony ‘campaign’ pretty much sums up modern rebellion.

And the media will handle the lyrics the same way they did in 1992 - they’ll either play it all and show how radical they are, or just censor them.

Next year, they could do it with King Diamond’s No Presents For Christmas, which would be more appropriate, genuinely funny (in a stupid way), and would be stiffing Simon Cowell.

Well, what miffs me the most is how RATM seems to be taking it rather seriously when they, of all people, should know better. Quoth Tom Morello:

“Rage Against the Machine was built for moments like this,” the band’s guitarist Tom Morello told The Associated Press. “We are honored to have the song that liberated the U.K. pop chart.”

I hope that was a joke. What he should have said was, “Who gives a shit about this? While we have the luxury of bitching about music on the Internet, many people don’t even have enough money to buy drinking water let alone a computer they could use to download our song.” That’s what the Tom Morello I respected back in the day would have said.

At least they said they’d donate all the profits to charities in the UK. Perhaps the end justifies the means.

Morello is being tongue in cheek. He gets it.

That would be a great choice. I love King Diamond.

Eric Idle’s “Fuck Christmas” would be great as well.

I hope so, but you never can really tell…

I love King Diamond too,