Re:How does marijuana cause "the munchies?"

Quote: "Dear Cecil:

I know that this really isn’t the type of thing that is asked about frequently, but I gotta ask. When someone smokes marijuana, they get the much-fabled “munchies.” I know that this occurs, I am just at a loss as to why it does occur. What is the physiological reasons for this to occur? --Out of My Skull at Ohio University

“You need to slack off on the ganja, bro. What you meant to ask was what the physiological reasons are. Also, you used “occur” three times in two sentences. Besides interfering with cognitive function, marijuana impairs short-term memory. Looks like yours can be measured in milliseconds.”

Cecil, don’t you think “Out of My Skull” could just have had a case of internetitis? I mean, by most 'net standards, his grammar and minimal redundancy were, like, the cream of the crop.

Wait, I just noticed that the person’s name is “Out of My Skull,” so never mind.

Welcome to the SDMB, Lenoxus.

A link to the column is appreciated. Providing one can be as simple as pasting the URL into your post, making sure to leave a blank space on either side of it. Like so: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030516.html

Interestingly, the link between marijuana and hunger is not always that strong. Of course there’s the phenomenon that if you smoke a bunch in one day, your appetite will be supressed the next (a sort of tollerance). But also if you smoke for a while you might start to become a bit immune to the effect of munchies (as can be expected). Moreover, the pain-relieving qualities of weed can also alleviate the symptoms of hunger, making it easier to go without eating if you’re so inclined. In short, there’s much truth to what some people call the “weed diet.” Giving it to AIDS patients may stimulate them to eat in the short term, but it’s not so clear that it can be a long-term strategy. I speak as someone with a not-too-strong appetite and for whom marijuana just leads to less eating. (Not that not eating a lot is a bad thing, as long as you take your vitamins… though I had to learn that the hard way.)

Hello all. Judging from first hand experience, here are my observations:
You get this feeling in your stomach, that it needs food. Its a very good feeling. And your mind starts thinking of food that tastes good. You immediatley start to think of what you have in the fridge and what you could cook. Your mouth starts to fill with the tastes that you like most and you feel you must eat something NOW. And when you eat, it feels like you need to eat more and mroe because it tastes so good. Then, after trying to cook things and messing up, you start to feel that you no longer need to eat and thats enough food for now. And all you feel like doing is relaxing and listening to music. Laying down in bed relaxing and thinking of good thoughts and memories and people you miss or love. The cold from the ac makes me want to sleep and relax. This feeling is so good and is VERY hard to explain. You must experience it yourself to understand.
-kushman

Actually, I disagree. I would say that it is not at all hunger per se, but appetite. The difference between hunger and appetite is perhaps subtle, but it is exactly what applies here. Hunger can exist without appetite, and vice versa. Even if you’re hungry when you get the munchies, it is satisfied quickly. But, like you said, when you start eating you just want to eat more and more, and your appetite might know little bound other than time.

The rest of your post starts trailing off. I think you might want to take a nap. I think you’re talking about the effect of getting “burnt-out.” It’s like getting sleepy without being tired (or, actually, probably vice versa). Anyway, you’re right that it’s pretty unique. Can’t say that I enjoy it too much, but it sure as hell beats a hangover.