Re: Indian sterilization

The fact is that we honestly don’t know the Indian numbers. During the seventies, a lot of whites became wannabe Indians, known to Indians as “twinkies.” The issue got even worse. Do the names Harley Swiftdeer, Wallace Black Elk, Lynn Andrews, Ruth Beebe Hill, Sun Bear, Brooke Medicine Eagle, and Robert Ghostwolf sound familiar to you? They’re all frauds, and only two of them are actually Inidan.

I’ve had ppl ask me, “Could you teach me the Lakota way?” because they’re of alleged NDN descent. I immediatey ask what nation. Cherokee. Invariably. No offense to REAL Cherokees, but now I think Adam and Eve were Cherokee, everyone else is.

So therefore the forced sterilization of NDN women in such numbers is highly possible, because these wannabes think they are Indian. Also, we’re only talking about NDN women going to the IHS, which means reservation women. In the 50s, a lot of reservations were terminated.

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank thee for posting thy comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in thy post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:
Were 40% of Native American women forcibly sterilized in the 1970s? (22-Mar-2002)

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

man_in_black, I started a thread on the same topic a few weeks ago. Check out the discussion here.

And welcome aboard!