Re the "Dry Drunk Syndrome" is this a for real disease or a made up condition?

GWB’s personality is sometimes described as being that of a "dry drunk alcoholic’ so I looked it up Re Dry Drunk Syndrome

Is this really a problem related to alcohol abuse of simply people who were dysfunctional and drunk becoming dysfunctional and sober?

The reason many people drink is because they are dysfunctional; the drinking isn’t the problem per se; it’s an outer manifestation of an inner sickness.

It’s not enough to merely stop drinking; for these people to get better, they need to work on fixing their dysfunction.

IME “dry drunk” refers to those who refuse to work on their underlying problems after they are sober.

I think a lot of people with mental illness self-medicate with alcohol, and when they get sober, they still have the mental illness that they aren’t getting help for, which leads to them being the same way but just sober.

My dad self-medicates with alcohol and you can see the pattern. When he feels depressed, he drinks so he doesn’t have to feel anything. When life is good and he doesn’t have symptoms of depression, he doesn’t drink.

On preview, what NinetyWt said.

The phenomenon of putting the cork in the bottle yet remaining a miserably dysfunctional individual is not at all uncommon. I’ve seen a lot of folks like that. Heck, I’ve been that myself.

And miserably dysfunctional non-drinking alcoholics tend to again become miserably dysfunctional drinking alcoholics rather regularly.

That’s why AA emphasizes that real long-term abstinence depends on fixing the misery and dysfunction.

I believe that addiction is a disease. I have the disease. I’m in RECOVERY. I’d had many periods of abstinence but I was the same miserable, obsessive, compulsive, self centered, not accepting reality person I was while I was using so I was just an addict who was currently drug free.
Today I have a program. I am involved and participating in my recovery. I belong to a 12 Step fellowship patterned after AA. I do the stepwork, I have a sponsor, I sponsor people, I do service, in the fellowship and outside. I am not the same person I was when I entered recovery. I don’t think the same way, don’t react the same way, don’t believe the same things I used to believe.

So, yes, “dry drunk” is a real “condition”… An addict without drugs, and alcohol is a drug, is still an addict. An addict in recovery is doing some work on the process of changing.