re: What happens to old movie costumes?

Old movie costumes were often recycled by the studios. The B movies of the 40s were often made with costumes and sets left over from major productions. Sometimes they would actually tell B movie scriptwriters to come up with a story making use of costumes and sets left over from other films. I recall reading of an actor who complained of how badly the costumes for extras and bit players smelled because they weren’t laundered regularly.

The original “Star Trek” featured so many parallel Earth stories because it allowed the producers to cut costs by using sets and costumes already available at Universal studios.

Mods, could we close this thread? It’s in the wrong forum, and there’s already a thread about this column in the appropriate forum.

Well, the column DID link to this forum in the “comment on this answer” link.

Speaking of which, the new site design which makes links not get underlined made it very hard to find the link to the Smithsonian FAQ, since the link was attached to “here” (which is not very friendly) and was completely invisible.

It’s not Cecil’s column, it’s a brand new Staff Report by MsRobyn, and found here: What happens to old movie costumes?

So, I am re-opening this thread and moving it to the “Comments on Staff Reports” forum.

OK, my goof. Closing this one. Go to: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=486043 for discussion.