Ready to go businesses?

I believe that I have heard of charities or other organizations going into developing countries and giving the people there the equipment and training to start new, small businesses.

Is there a term for this specific branch of initiative?

I’d like to research the success rates and what made certain variants work better than others. In particular, I’m trying to figure out how one would identify which businesses would make sense for a region and what size (mom & pop venture to plantation/factory) tends to work or not work.

There is the term micro-capitalism, which refers to very small loans given to entrepreneurs in undeveloped countries to start a small business. But this usually is just loaning them capital; they have to provide the equipment, labor, etc. for the business.

There is also the term micro-business, referring to any very small business, like a 1-person shoe repair shop, for example.

You might search for those terms, though neither is exactly what you are describing. Is there something like micro-franchising?

Micro-loans, micro-credit, and micro-finance are other possible names. Incidentally, Barack Obama’s mother was involved in this. Here’s one article about it:

Turnkey? A turn key business is one that’s ready to go. The physical building is there, the equipment is there, everything that’s needed to be up and running is right there waiting for someone to walk in (‘turn the key’) and open up.

IME, the term is usually used when someone is selling their business. For example if I shut down my restaurant, I could call it a turn key business, meaning if you buy it from me, you aren’t going to be spending months buying equipment and dining room supplies and rewiring the place etc. You’ll sometimes here it for franchises, where they’ll do the entire build out after you buy in.

If this is the case in the OP, ‘turnkey business’ would fit.

Microneocolonialism?

I can’t speak to labels to this sort of charity, but I recall Chris Blatman at Chicago and Lant Pritchett at Harvard have some scholarship on assessing charity efficacy.

Is this the same thing as the Effective Altruism movement or something different?