Reagan Was Senile In 1988

He did. He started to make a point, stopped, and forgot what he was going to say. I’ve done that. In the next debate, when questioned about his age, he replied, “I’m not going to make age an issue in this campaign by pointing out my opponent’s youth and inexperience”. The audience cracked up, including Mondale, and that pretty much won him the election right there.

True, you’re right-he could have just been showing normal aging. We’ll probably never really know.

At least now he’s no longer suffering.

I take nothing away from Reagan’s struggle against this disease. I would, however, like to point out that there are some jobs for which, if one is suffering from a devastating neurological condition, one is singularly unsuited. At the absolute top of that list is “president of a nuclear superpower.”

BTW, if Reagan was indeed entering senility while in office, then by not resigning he broke a campaign promise he made back in 1980.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with the theory that he may have had a stroke when he was shot.

As far as I know, Reagan never toked. He was high on life.

The Nancy desreves a lot of credit!

Now why would you say that? There are an absurd number of safeguards built into the system. If anything he would forget the code group that he’s supposed to read, in which case we would have been dead 25 minutes earlier than the Soviets instead of 15. The President cannot unilaterally launch, and the 25th Amendment makes sure that no single nutcase can give the order.

We’d probably be safer with some senile old dude than with some young, hyper-aggressive crusader, if you get my drift.

Oh, so you’d rather have Sec. of State Al “I’m in control here!” Haig?

Robin

I agree. It’s mostly the last two years that reporters who interviewed him in the OO say that they had experiences like him falling asleep in the midst of talking to them, answering questions that weren’t asked, rambling incoherently and so on. And even they say that these came and went as “spells” rather than being a constant prescence.

My grandfather died of Alzheimers last winter after, thankfully, a much shorter struggle than Reagan endured. I don’t think Reagan would have necessarily had Alzheimers in office then, but there are any number of problems he could have been having. Heck, he could have just been not getting the right nutrition.

Oh, geez. Here we go. :rolleyes:

Like I said to you before at home, pinko, Al Haig did the right thing. His mistake was being the right man in the right place with the wrong Veep. There was no coup attempt, there was no attempt at usurpation of power, he simply took control as the man in the best position at the time.

Once the chain of command was re-established he stepped aside. He was a superb commander who knew exactly what needed to be done at the time. His only fault in this case was making the people above him look like bumbling fools.

Since there’s just been the one nuclear war so far, Airman, you perhaps know as well as I do that the most frequent use of nuclear weapons in their 60 year history has been as some form of deterrent. I would not want someone with a shaky grasp on reality in a position to do a lot of nuclear sabre-rattling. Or even joking about it.

Even without the nuclear aspect, a senile president could do a lot of damage from his bully pulpit.

I’m sorry, dude, but that is one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. I’ve always thought so. :smiley:

I remain convinced that Reagan did that on purpose. The Soviets thought he was a senile cowboy, and it worked towards his advantage.

Nothing that I said could be construed as blaming him for his own illness or as having a lack of compassion for anyone who struggles with this illness. I offered the information that I have had access to because it relates to the topic.

Reagan seemed to have the most difficulty with the first Presidential debate with Mondale. I have noticed that some sites have removed transcripts of his debates although they offer transcripts of the Vice Presidential debates. There are, however, videos available for downloading. I think that C-Span has them.

After the debates, there were a couple of exchanges with reporters about the debates that do show some confusion. This was in 1984. Transcripts:

http://www.museum.tv/debateweb/html/history/1984/84essay/reaganOct12.htm

http://www.museum.tv/debateweb/html/history/1984/84essay/reaganOct22.htm

: Part of the perception of Reagan as being senile had to do with his aw-shucks demeanor and penchant for telling stories to make his point. It’s the same reason people think George W. Bush is stupid, when he’s not. I believe both men willingly accepted that characterization, so that their opponents would underestimate them.
[/quote]

I strongly disagree with you. Reagan was known as “the great Communicator” for good reason. Although he could foster the “aw-shucks” demeanor at will, he could also, especially earlier in his career, be enormously inspiring. This man was not dumb. His mind was beginning to falter.

On the other hand, George W. Bush is not very bright. No President would want to fake being stupid to the people who are going to be voting. His best chance is to hope that people won’t notice that he can’t read more than about seven words without stopping and that they won’t know how to pronounce words either.

Did he not believe he, as Cheif of Staff, was next in line of succesion after the VP?

Hmmm…I think he was Secretary of State.

Well, since he was the Secretary of State, probably not.

Plus the fact that he was also in line behind the Speaker of the House.

The Chief of Staff is not in line for the Presidency at all. Haig was Nixon’s Chief of Staff after Haldeman, but at the time of Reagan’s shooting he was Secretary of State, which put him 4th in line behind the Vice President, Speaker of the House, and President Pro Tempore of the Senate.

Yes, I misspoke. I mean SoS. But didn’t he claim to be 3rd in line at the time.

Can’t remember what year it was, but I recall an incident when, in a press conference, Reagan gave an answer that was completely unrelated to the question the reporter had asked. His spin doctors managed to convince the American Public that the reporter was at fault for asking his question out of turn. Seems that Reagan was given a list of questions with prescripted answers before his press conferences. As long as the reporters stayed with the program, everything was hunky-dory.

Reagan was, above all else, an actor. As long as he had a script or a teleprompter in front of him, he did great. I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of his humorous quips were stock answers (I have a mental list of them myself).

Alzheimers can be a funny thing. Some people get it and they’ve gone completely 'round the bend in a year or two, for others the onset can take a decade or more.

When it was announced back in '94 that Regan had Alzheimer’s, my first thought was, “They just now figured that out?” I think that it just took until then that it became obvious that they couldn’t hide it anymore.

My personal perception on the matter is this. It seems to me as I read between the lines that there’s an unspoken accusation of impropriety going down - namely, if it’s true that the first inarguable signs of Alzheimer’s were manifest as early as 1987 then an honourable man should have resigned the office of POTUSA. That’s the drift that I’m picking up on as I’ve read all the editorials and commentaries this past week.

It’s all a moot point of course. But you know revisionist historians. They’ll always find something to argue about.