Real-life encounters with song titles

That might be a crappy title for this thread, but I had trouble thinking of a better one. I was inspired by the “Recommend some new music” thread where people are talking about Big Black. This is my Big Black story:

Back in 1999, MrWhatsit and I were driving cross-country in a rented 14-foot U-Haul. We’re tooling down a Minnesota highway when a sign looms in the distance. I was driving and thought nothing special of it. The sign said, simply:

MrWhatsit shrieks like a woman, yells “STOP THE TRUCK!” and I frantically pull the truck over to the side of the road, thinking that I just unknowingly hit a pedestrian or something. He says, “grab the camera!” so I did, and followed him out of the truck.

He walked 30 yards back down the road so that he could stand in front of the sign and get his picture taken. Then he kept saying, “It’s Jordan, Minnesota! How could I not?!”

In case you don’t believe me, I have photographic evidence.

Feel free to post your own song-based experiences. If that makes sense.

I first ran into this phenomenon while a kid in the back of a station wagon on a family trip. I was studying the map, and wondering why I was humming “Sweet Baby James”. Then I realized that we were on “the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston”. No one else thought it the least bit interesting…

Much later, a co-worker drove miles out of the way on a business trip, just so I could be “Standin’ on a corner in Winslow, Arizona”.

A while ago I was in Boston on the subway and I went past the Government Center. But, alas, I didn’t have a lotta lotta lotta hard to do. And I certainly didn’t stop in and make the secretaries feel better.

Going cross country from CA to IA almot every summer, we found ourselves driving through Winslow, AZ on a regular basis, and without fail, every time, my mom would start singing that derned song as soon as we’d see the first sign, some hundred, or so miles out of town, and not stop until we’d get through Winslow. I can’t tell you how many times I threatened to leave her on a corner in Winslow, AZ.

~V

I rode the Night Train once:
[James Brown]
“Miami, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia
Raleigh, North Carolina
The Night Train
The Night Train” [/James Brown]

In the midst of Colorado, at the intersection of two very, very long roads with very little on them, there is Last Chance.

Small town, a few houses, a sandwich shop… and a Texaco.

I even had the Rickie Lee Jones tape with me. I have filled up at the Last Chance Texaco.

On a road trip with some friends, listening to the radio. “Saturday . . . in the park . . . I think it was the Fourth of July.”

BWAhahahahaha!

We also had to sing the obligatory song while driving through Kalamazoozoozoozoo-zoooooooooo. “A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I got a gaaaaaaaal . . . .”

Well, while driving the other night, an oncoming car refused to dim his headlights. So, I was…Blinded By The Light. Does that count?

This weekend I gave my woman a “Whole Lotta Love”. Afterwards, I was “Comfortably Numb”.

What?
Ok, fine. When I was seventeen I got hold of a bottle of Night Train & was so excited. Of course it was because of the G-n-R song, not the James Brown one.

When I went to London, everything reminded me of record titles, from Abbey Road to Sunny Goodge Street. London is immortal in song.

I did this too, but no girl in a flat bed Ford even drove by, let alone slowed down.

I stayed at the Hotel California in Madrid and drove really, really fast around Deadman’s Curve on Sunset (or is it Mulholland) Drive.

I have also driven on Deadman’s Curve, though a friend of mine said it was a curve on Highway 1 in California where a lot of accidents had occurred.

In Arizona (or maybe New Mexico) there is a town where the main street is an old section of Route 66. My wife got into a car accident while we were there.

I’ve driven through New York blasting Big City Lights by the Scorpions.

I’ve reached Amarillo by morning.

I have ridden on a horse that had no name (yet) and hung out with a friend who had a dog named Boo.

I’ve even had Paradise By The Dashboard Light.