Real Y2K threats

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. authorities said they indicted a Canadian man Friday for allegedly preparing to blow up the trans-Alaska pipeline in hopes of making a killing in oil markets on the expected rise in prices.

I’ve heard of another Y2K scam where a scammer calls and purports to represent your bank and wants to transfer your money to a “Y2K secure” account. They somehow wheedle enouugh info out of the mark to empty same’s bank accounts. I’m amazed that it apparently works from time to time, but then people go for that Nigerian thing.

So, what other Y2K delights are the bunco artists of the world working on right now?

Well, I’m just about done wrapping up one of the biggest scams in history. A bunch of my buddies and I convinced all the corporation execs that there were going to be horrendous computer problems with the year 2000 if we didn’t drop everything and fix them. So, they cancelled all the development projects and for the last two years, we’ve been down in the I.T. area playing Hearts and Minesweeper and surfing the net while we sent up terrible status reports of how we were slowly making progress on the bugs.

We have to go back to work in a couple of weeks, but it’s been a fun couple of years.