Realistic depictions of regular slobs?

One thing I really loved about Observe And Report was how real the protagonist was, and really aside from the more outlandish elements like the flasher how real his life and the lives of those around him seemed. I’ve known many people just like Ronnie, the infamous sex scene seemed real because people don’t analyze their actions and wonder if a woman demanding sex is too intoxicated. Ronnie is pathetic, but in the way everyone is pathetic that mundane variety.

Ronnie was a flawed and realistic character, you’ve probably known him.

What characters struck you as true to life to an amazing degree?

A ot of Stephen King’s characters seem true to life. They watch soap operas during the day, drink or smoke too much, and have embarrassing problems. If anyone wanted a prtrait of late 20th-early 21st century Ordinary Americans, that’s where to find them. I suspect his realistic deopctioon of people will ultimately cause his books to live on, long after the horror seems passe.

Sometimes Louis CK is a little too realistic on Louie - he hits my fiance a bit close to home on occasion.

I am going to taunt Sampiro by saying “Roseanne, before she won the lottery,” before he does.

I’ll also add Tony Hillerman’s detective Jim Chee. I recall one novel in particular in which Chee is in the hospital and is forced to hide when the man who put him there arrives to finish the job. Chee watches as the guy kills an innocent. Most fictional detectives would have intervened before that happened, but Chee is realistically afraid and rational. He’s unarmed and injured; there’s no way he’ll be able to overcome the hit man, and showing himself will only mean that both he and the innocent get killed. So he stays hidden. Very un-superheroish.

In the movie Go Fish, I appreciated a character noting that her job as a vet tech was almost full-time. It was a thoughtful nod to people who’ve been in that position before.

I present, for your delectations, (Not safe for work YouTube clip)

Wayne and Waynette Slob. What, what, what, what, what.

The above ^^^ Youtube clip of Wayne and Waynetta is NSFW.

I’m sure I should have mentioned that before :smack:

I found Outside Providence to be very realistic. If you dropped the improbable love story and just made a character study with those characters, as depicted, it would be like a documentary of my hometown. Sans the accents.

This is probably going to sound odd, but I thought that Sherlock (new BBC version) and Doogie Howser (old old sitcom :slight_smile: ) were both remarkably good at capturing what happened when someone was orders of magnitudes too smart for their own good at a very early age. Sherlock is what you get when there’s no one around to interact with on any meaningful level, and Doogie is what you get when there’s a lot of useful social support. I use them both as examples a lot when trying to explain to other people why the gifted kids were always so bizarre.

Marty. “What do you want to do tonight?” His friend. “I don’t know, what do you want to do tonight?” (Taking over the world not an option.) I’ve only seen the original TV version, but it’s about a guy who’s not handsome or rich or particularly smart falling in love with a (likewise) woman. It’s realistic and sweet. Ernest Borgnine won an Oscar for the movie.

I loved Paul Newman’s portrayal of an aging, irregularly employed blue-collar guy in ***Nobody’s Fool.

Plus it’s the only picture to win both the Best Picture Academy Award and the Palme d’Or at Cannes.

I like the house in The Middle. Can a house be a character? It is dated, has dirty baseboards, needs to be painted and has a horrible layout. Very realistic.

My brother’s a correctional officer who always wanted to be a cop, and I see A LOT of him in Observe and Report.

I always thought that Mark Ruffalo did a phenomenal job as Terry in You Can Count On Me. I saw quite a bit of myself in that one.

And I always thought that the characters in St Elmo’s Fire were very well-written and acted. They seemed very real to me.

This is actually one of my favorite genres of movies, as opposed to comic books, technothrillers, 115-lb. women beating up guys who look like they just got out of Russian prison, etc.

Melvin and Howard
The Last Picture Show
Smoke

I’m the first to say “All the characters in the Big Bang Theory.”

Err maybe for very select parts of humanity, but what isn’t realistic is how they avoid consequences for their bizarre behaviour.

The descriptions in the books are, to me, more realistic than the movies, but one of the reasons I love Giovanni Guareschi’s Mondo Piccolo is because the characters could be from any of the villages around the small town where I grew up.

Then again, he reckons that to get characters like those you need land like that: it would make sense that the Po Valley and Ebro Valley produce similar crops…