reality check at the movies

Why not wait until the trailers start and then go get your popcorn?

(…she says, knowing that she can’t resist watching trailers even for movies she’d never pay money to see.)

IIRC, over here at least, the price of the movie ticket is predominantly what has to go back to the movie’s distributors/producers. The advertising (and exorbitant snacky food prices) is so the cinema itself can recoup the cost of showing the movie, renting the real estate, running the electricity etc, etc. Hence why, if ads were disposed of, the ticket price would skyrocket. Running that many projectors, with that much aircon and that many automatic lights, however many hours a day, seven days a week isn’t going to be cheap…

Actually I do have the sticky floor.

Even worse, some of those movies feature no breasts at all!

I really like having the ads before the movie. I thinks of the ads (and the trailers for the upcoming features) as an integral part of the cinema-going experience, and the people who make the cinema ads tend to put a lot more effort into making them entertaining and interesting. Sometimes there’s more humour in the ads than there is in the film!

Saying that, I can’t think of a product I’ve bought because it had such a good cinema ad.

You are absolutely right, but still, not my problem. If I’m going to drop $25 on two tickets, popcorn, and two drinks, I fully expect my experience to be ad-free. For $25, I can buy the movie, a bag of microwave corn, a couple bottles of pop, and still have $5-$10 towards creating a theater experience in my home.

You can get beer at movie theaters here in Missouri.

:eek: Sweet, I’m movin’ there in three weeks!

Don’t know about you guys, but my local library system has a good selection of videotapes and a small collection of DVD’s. I can borrow five videotapes and two DVD’s for a week for free, provided I return thme on time.Granted, I don’t have a state-of-the-art home entertainment system, but I do have a 24" hooked up to my stereo, and it fills the bill quite nicely. My cost for a Friday evening’s entertainment: one bag of microwave popcorn and a liter bottle of Diet Coke.

And I can watch them in my underwear if I want to.

I don’t have to spend $15.00 to $20.00 amuse myself. And I won’t.

Now that pisses me off. Especially if I’ve purchased the damn DVD and I cannot navigate around as I see fit. :frowning:

Well, after 6PM anyway.

There’s a cinema & drafthouse here, too.

New Orleans had a movie theater that replaced its concession stand with a daquiri bar. Didn’t keep them from going out of business, though.

oh snap

All the circuits report that they get very few complaints about ads. They got some when the practice started but it has dropped off dramatically.

Maybe people don’t think their complaints will be heard.

Maybe most people like them.

If you don’t like the ads, tell them.

A few years ago, I would get a DVD that had previews that I had to watch. Now all of them allow me to hit the menu button to go past them.

But go to a football game and look at all the ads all around. How much did you pay to get in there?

Or watch a baseball game at home on your tv. Sure there are comercial breaks, but there is a changing sign behind the batter.

I think the selling of ads is now the biggest sector of our economy. A sector that must grow and grow. You sell ads. People buy the stuff. The people who made the stuff buy more ads. It is the great circle of life and it must not be messed with!

The only movies I’ve been to lately were at the drive-in. I won’t give up my drive-ins until they refuse me admittance.

The only concession we buy is the hugemongous tub of popcorn for $3. Everything else we bring with us from home.

I’m with whoever it was who said they didn’t mind movie trailers but didn’t like the Nike/Toyota/Pepsi ads. But then, I only go to the movies two or three times a year anyway. It’s hard for me to justify $9 to see a movie, when I spend about twice that a month for my Netflix membership and get to see at least 20 movies a month that way.

I’m with you, too. If I see those freaking Fantanas one more time, I’m going to track them down and strangle all four of them.

They also have the showing on Friday night where you can take your alcoholic drinks into the show…and there won’t be any kids.

You’re describing a rather sizable capital investment up front, though I’ll admit such a system would rapidly pay for itself in saved ticket purchases.
As for me, I’m a member of a sci-fi club and friends with a guy who works at a radio station. I get most of my tickets for free.

Yep. That’s built into the DVD standard. A DVD author (the one who creates the DVD’s menus) can selectively disable most user controls, such as the fast-forward or menu buttons, for any specific segment of video. I don’t do that, because doing that would be evil.

I realised something was wrong when I went to the movies a couple of years ago, asked for a medium Pepsi and a medium popcorn, handed the cashier a ten-dollar bill, and got a quarter in change. :eek: