Rear-view video recommendations

Mrs. L.A. liked the rear-view video in cars we’ve rented. I thought I might get her one for her 2010 Toyota RAV4 for Christmas. The few I’ve looked at online seem pretty small, like a 4-inch diagonal screen. I think she’d like something bigger; perhaps 6-inch diagonal. I know I would. Personally, if I were buying it for myself, I’d want one that turns on automatically when you shift into reverse, and turns off when you shift into a forward gear.

Any recommendations?

I’ve got a Garmin GPS receiver in my pickup and it has rear view capability. I purchased the accessory and installed it with no problems. It’s a wireless connection to the GPS and I’m taping power for the camera from the backup light circuit so it comes on automatically when I shift to reverse. There is however about a 2 second delay before the picture appears on the GPS screen.

If you don’t already have GPS in the vehicle this might be a good option.

I like the camera on the kia soul which when you turn the wheel it has an overlay which shows the path your car will take.

Would be even better if when towing a trailer it would show which way the trailer would go.

She doesn’t have GPS in the RAV. But I’d rather get one device instead of two. Do you have a link to what you’re talking about anyway?

Don’t they all do that?

No, When we were testing for a different vehicle a year ago, some did, some didn’t. Our Equinox does what you want. My son’s Outlander does not. I only use it backing out of parking spots and when I am starting to get close to something. I learned using the mirrors external and find that much easier when backing into the garage or parking spots. I don’t have a trailer hitch on that vehicle.

As I understand it cars manufactured in 2018 will be required to have back up cameras. Mind you 2018 model year cars were mostly built in 2017 so 2019 will be where this really gets started.

Mine doesn’t, but I’m fine with the straight lines. I drive a 2015 Nissan Altima.

On edit: I should say, what I’m referring to is curving the lines when you turn the wheel to show your path. My car doesn’t curve the lines, they stay straight.

Oh, OK. Yeah, the straight lines were what I was thinking of.

For recommendations for aftermarket rear-view video, links are appreciated! :slight_smile:

Here’s the camera add on:

Garmin BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVGXYJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1BntBbAQ29WSP

I’m having problems finding the compatable GPS on Amazon. I’ll have to check the Garmin. Website.

Here’s a GPS with the camera included.

Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMUYYZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vLntBbDDXVKGG

I ended up getting her an Auto Vox CS-2 wireless camera kit. She opened her present and said, ‘Cool!’ It looks pretty easy to install, but I’m having it done on Friday by someone who actually knows what he’s doing. I may have to see if I can get a two-socket cigarette lighter adapter so Mrs. L.A. can use the rear-view camera and her GPS.

You can use the OBD to power it with one of these. And you can get OBD splitter cables too.