reCaptcha is the Worst

Argggh. I had to fill out a form, on one of my suppliers websites, that took about 10 minutes and a lot of cutting and pasting. At the bottom was a reCAPTCHA. It was stupidly difficult and I got it wrong. Which lead to the whole page being wiped clean, and another 10 minutes of cutting and pasting. Bad page design PLUS reCAPTCHA.

Well it sure its nice that Google is getting something out if the collective frustration of millions of people.

Watch out - if you pronounce the ReCaptchas out loud, you may summon shambling horrors from the darkness between the dimensions.

Next time, before hitting “submit,” you will copy all of the text to the clipboard, right? Just in case, like?

I don’t think that helps. Forms contain a bunch of different text boxes, radio check boxes and things selected from a list. You can only select one text box to copy to the clip board and the check boxes and lists cannot be copied to the clip board.

Right you are. But if the data entry is a single text box, like this post I am about to make, ^A, ^C is simple and good first-level insurance.

After watching this TED video I’ve grown to tolerate it.

Nope, still think they do it poorly.

With six minutes between your post and gamerunknown’s post, and a video length of 16 minutes, I’m going to use my Columbo skills to say that you probably didn’t bother to actually watch the video.

I mean, I didn’t either, but I would have waited 16 minutes before making a post about it.

I watched about a minute and a half of it and decided that even thinking about reCaptcha any longer would just make me needlessly upset.

If you happen to do that, ask them to bring all of my missing socks with them.

This sounds like bullshit to me.

I stronly prefer the game “Are you a human?” http://areyouahuman.com/

Agreed. Why the need to distort the entry into some blurred mess. I’m pretty sure the original time it appeared in print it didn’t look that way.

Oh good Lord. The little game was cute, but I checked out their “accessible” version and the sound was like two minutes long and utterly unintelligible. (Also the game requires cultural knowledge that I am willing to bet not everyone in the entire world has.)

The cultural knowledge thing I’m sure can be overcome–just make it more abstract, for example, in terms of basic shapes instead of things like “coolers.”

As for the accessible version, the sound and the intelligibility of it–I have no idea what you’re talking about. What’s the “accessible” version you’re referring to?

Never mind, I found it. I wasn’t talking about that. I was talking about the game. Capchas for the blind are a whole nother question.

The accessible version is the one meant for visually impaired people; click the little wheelchair icon. I agree that it sounds completely unintelligible.

I like the overall concept, though. It just needs some work.

One time my reCaptcha challenge was a blurry double integral. Sadly, the input box does not accept TeX.

reCaptcha is a cool idea, but it is an utter failure of an experiment. Unfortunately, they made it really easy to use (for programmers), and now every website in existence seems to have one of those fucking things on its forms. I generally have to try six or more times to get something remotely legible.

Wow, perhaps now ReCapchas will be easier knowing now that I only have to get one word correct. I often find them nearly impossible to decipher and perhaps because the other one is unknown. So I’m just going to look for one work I can recognize and put the closest thing I can for the other, perhaps better/faster then hitting reload so many times.

Thanks