Reccomend Some Hip Hop

Here’s me: several hundred brit-pop, alt.country (whatever that is), trad country, british invasion, indie, emo and power pop records.

And “The Low End Theory” and “The Eminem Show.”

Can’t help but think I’m missing alot.

I hear nothing but great things about Missy Elliot, Outkast, Jay-Z, Nas, BIG, Tupac etc but I don’t own a damn thing.

What should I buy and why?

fanks, kk

Anything by Outkast, The Roots, Deltron 3030, Dilated Peoples, Mobb Deep, and the first Wu Tang Album.

Also Jurassic 5. Can’t go wrong with them.

Outkast came out with a Greatest Hits album last year, so you may want to look into picking that up. Jurassic 5 and Outkast are my two favorite rap groups, but I also like Deltron 3030 and Kool Keith (who has recorded as several different “personas,” including Dr. Dooooom, Dr. Octagon, and Black Elvis).

Redman - Muddy Waters
Method Man - Tical
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
The GZA/Genuis - Liquid Swords
Outkast - Aquemini and ATLiens
Cormega - The Realness
Clipse - Lord Willin
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die and Life After Death
Dr Dre - Chronic 2001
Scarface - The Fix
Ice Cube - Predator, Lethal Injection, and Amerikkka’s Most Wanted
Ras Kass - Van Gogh and The Re-Up
Beanie Sigel - The Reason
Jadakiss - Kiss Tha Game Goodbye
Nas - Illmatic, Stillmatic, and God’s Son
Lloyd Banks - Money In The Bank and Mo Money In The Bank
Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
Dr Octagon - Dr Octagonecologist
Capone & Noreaga - The War Report
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele and Bulletproof Wallets
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Links
Kool Keith - Black Elvis

Any one of these cds is worth its weight in gold. Also, go out and get a stack of Whoo Kid mixtapes. You can get um for like 5 bux, and every one is hot. A good way to hear new artists without getting fuckt out of $15.00.

And don’t let anyone convince you that the epitome of rap/hip-hop music is The Roots of Outkast. While they are both (very) good, they are not the end all and be all.

All good stuff, but my favorite hip hop album is Jay-Z Unplugged with the Roots as his band. Amazing stuff.

Might I suggest:

Spearhead
Ugly Duckling
Lyrics Born
Lifesavas

I’m loving the hell out of Jay-Z’s the Black Album right now, but I haven’t exactly given myself time to wear it out.

As far as the underground goes, check out most everything on the Def Jux label (a few names: Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, and El-P)

fugees

Outkast definitely, they’re great artists. Their live performances are awesome. And they do it without being angry, too explicit, or sexual. In my opinion they rock!

Outkast definitely is a great band, and I love the Roots.

Nobody’s talking about the old school, Run DMC, Public Enemy. Those were the days when hip hop meant something.

Also, the Master MC himself, KRS One has put out some Powerful stuff, but since his music isn’t about flashy cars and women and money, he doesn’t get recognized. He calls himself “The Teacher” and his music actually has a message, which is what I look for in hip hop, since I don’t care about Hos and Cash out the anus…

J-Live
Swollen Members

UNDISPUTED CLASSICS:
36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
Straight Outta Compton - NWA
The Chronic - Dr. Dre
Endtroducing… - DJ Shadow
Paid in Full - Eric B. and Rakim
Funcrusher Plus - Company Flow
It Takes a Nation of Millions… - Public Enemy
Illmatic - Nas
Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
Ready to Die - Notorious BIG
Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde - The Pharcyde

MUST-HAVES:
The Realness - Cormega
AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted - Ice Cube
Moment of Truth - Gangstarr
The Infamous - Mobb Deep
3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul
De La Soul is Dead - De La Soul
Doggystlyle - Snoop Doggy Dogg
Mecca and the Soul Brother - Pete Rock and CL Smooth
The Great Adventures of SLick Rick - Slick Rick
The Cold Vein - Cannibal Ox
Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar
Things Fall Apart - The Roots
Resurrection - Common Sense
Liquid Swords - GZA
Only Built for Cuban Linx - Raekwon
The Low-End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
By any Means Necesarry - Boogie Down Productions
Operation: Doomsday - MF Doom
Black Bastards - KMD
ATLiens - Outkast
Aquemini - Outkast

You absolutely need to have Tupac’s “All Eyes on Me”. The Chronic is also a must buy, though the latter half of the CD isn’t incredible, the first half is about as good as it gets. If you want to check out something obscure, I’m a big fan of Partners N Crime.

Where are the Anticon guys, people? Sage Francis, Sole, Alias, Deep Puddle Dynamics…they’re usually pretty good. They tend to be popular especially with indie types, like you and me. Also El P’s Fantastic Damage was fantastic.

If you’re going for the more popular route, I suppose it comes down to what you like in your rap/hip-hop. If it’s verbal ability, I’d suppose Eminem is a good choice, or Outkast. If it’s funkalicious beats, Missy’s queen of that game. I’ve never been big into Jay Z or BIG, but Nas has had some good songs, and I like his voice.