Recent Amazon purchases - any opinions on these?

I just came into a very small amout of money that let me go on a very small spending spree at Amazon. Has anyone any opinions on these books? They haven’t arrived yet, so PLEASE BOX SPOILERS!

Gideon’s Corpse, Preston / Child

A Fire Upon the Deep, Vernor Vinge

No Quarter, Robert Asprin and Eric Del Carlo

The Ecstasy of Defeat: Sports Reporting at Its Finest by the Editors of the Onion

Ready Player One, Ernest Cline

Blasphemy, Douglas Preston

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

Dragon’s Egg, Robert L. Forward

Dream Park, Larry Niven & Steven Barnes

Obviously, everyone loves A Game of Thrones. Anyone know of / like any of the others. Some I gleaned from Dope threads.

Joe

A Fire Upon the Deep is a good read. Vinge has been one of my favorites ever since True Names.
I hate being stuck in the Slow Zone.

I thought Gideon’s Sword (the 1st book in that series) was decidedly average and Blasphemy let down by the ending, so personally I’d skip those particular Preston/Child ones…

Totally agree. Give Blasphemy a pass.

Dream Park is a fun, if somewhat dated idea. Return A Game of Thrones immediately, and buy something worth reading.

I loved Dream Park when I read it ages and ages ago - now I want to take another look at it!

Well, too late, as they’re in transit, but thanks! I haven’t been let down by them yet.

Joe

A Fire Upon the Deep is one of my favorite books. There’s also two others in the series, and a story in one of Vinge’s anthologies called The Blabber that are set in the same universe (Zones of Thought).

I’m sorry to say this, but I really think that Asprin was losing it there near the end. I hope that the co-authors were able to polish up this book.

Everyone is talking about the Game of Thrones, and I liked the first couple of books very much. However, I’ve checked out the last two books from the library, rather than buying them. Be aware that this series might never really be finished.

Dragon’s Egg and its sequel, Starquake, are fascinating. Forward didn’t really do well with human characterization. However, he made up for it in world-building and alien characterization. I found that the aliens were far more interesting than the humans.

*Dream Park *is dated. However, it’s very believable. It’s an adventure story, it’s science fiction, and also a mystery, all wrapped up in a neat bundle. It’s a lot of fun, and I want to go to Dream Park. Yeah, I’d even do a few home games of a Fat Ripper Special in order to get into shape for a trip to Dream Park (the games are played live for the first time in the Park, and then they’re marketed as home games). It has three sequels, all of which follow the same pattern.

So, of the books that I’ve mentioned, I have read and liked all but one. I haven’t read the Asprin book, and I hope that you do enjoy it. I haven’t read any of the others, and have no opinion on them.