Recipe for fluffy oven omelet?

Hi, I’m trying to find a way to make an omelet in the oven that turns out fluffy, not frittata-like. I tried whipping the eggs in a blender (still dense) and folding in egg whites (looks fluffy, but after cooking for the recommended time it was still foamy liquid inside). Do any of the cooks here have a recipe that would work?

That’s the only way I know of doing it. Did you try cooking longer? Don’t bother with “recommended times” – they vary. Test by sticking a knife or toothpick or whatever you prefer into the center to test if it’s done.

Set oven to broil and let it get good and hot.

Preheat saute pan over medium high heat.

Whisk eggs thoroughly–about 20 seconds. Don’t over whisk, though, or they will separate and you will get uneven “fluff.”

Immediately add to pan.

Cook for about 30 seconds on the stove–do not flip eggs.

Place in oven.

Cook until puffy and eggs are cooked to desired consistency. Do not flip at any time.

Slide on to a plate.

The technique is here for everything to be at cooking temperature right off the bat, to have direct heat on the bottom and then on the top once in the oven. Ideally, the eggs should be at room temp so they do not have to go from cold to warm to cooked.

Let me know how it works.

By “only way” I meant the egg whites way–I didn’t realize you had two methods there. That’s if you want the kind of spongy fluffy type of omelet with lots of air bubbles inside. I normally start it on a heated pan on the stove, let it set until it’s about 1/2 done then finish in a 350 oven for another about 10-15 minutes or so.

I can’t see why you can’t do this all in the oven, were you so inclined. I just would follow dbx820’s suggestion to make sure to start with a heated pan.

I did find some posts on the Cook’s Illustrated message board, which should help you out.

I do think that simply leaving your egg-white version in longer would do the trick. Follow whatever recipe you have, and just test to see if it’s done.

Ok, I’ll try it. Heated pan, room temp eggs and more time in the oven. Thanks!