Recipe time! Zuppa Toscana!

OK! In the soup thread: Help, I’m turning into a soupaholic, I mentioned that my mom makes a Zuppa Toscana that kicks Olive Garden’s ass. I was not kidding. The Zuppa used to be my favorite thing to eat at the OG, but now, I’m ruined for it. So beware! If you ever want to enjoy the Zuppa at the OG, do not make this recipe! You will never be the same!

Little Bird’s mom’s godly Zuppa Toscana

1 lb ground pork
2 cups onion, chopped
4 slices of bacon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon oregano
4 small red potatoes sliced ¼ inch thick with the skin left on
1 10 oz package frozen spinach (thawed)
1 cup whipping cream

In a bowl: Combine and mix pork and spices, cover and refrigerate overnight.
In a dutch oven (or just fry it up, what the heck?): Cook bacon until crisp then crumble (or cut up before cooking. Set aside.
Cook pork and onion in the bacon drippings until meat is brown and onion is tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Drain off fat, add broth, and bring to boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add potatoes and spinach.
Return to boil and cook covered for 15-20 minutes (Until potatoes are done)
Add bacon and whipping cream.
Stir and serve.
Serves about 6, probably less if you’re all hungry.

And there it is. Yum yum yum yum.

Anyone else care to share favorite killer recipes? I’m sure we’d all love to hear them!!!

I do have a favorite soup recipe…it’s here on page 7 of Zenster’s very intimidating recipe thread.

Question: when the URT gets so long that it needs to be locked, will it be renamed the Pentultimate Recipe Thread so that its successor may be called the Ultimate Recipe Thread? I have too much time on my hands.

Also, I want to say that I will probably hate you for posting this recipe. I would live on Zuppa Toscana from the Olive Garden if I could, and you say this is better? Oh, I’m doomed.

bump
Comeon! No one else has a recipe to share? Please?

First Little Bird, I want to thank you for posting your recipe. We intend to try it real soon.

My favorite soup recipes are already on line in Zenster’s recipe thread alluded to above, but I’ll copy one over here for ya’.

Minestrone

Thanks again.

You guys eat weird stuff.

When I hear the words “Tuscan Soup,” this is what comes to mind…
1 lb. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
1/4 lb. pancetta, diced (ham will do in a pinch)
1 medium onion, halved
4 unpeeled garlic cloves, plus 3 minced
1 bay leaf
S&P
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 good-sized onion, diced
2 small carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 small leeks, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 lb escarole, sliced into strips
1 sprig fresh rosemary

1. Cook pancetta over medium heat in the soup pot until golden, about 8 minutes. Add 12 cups water, beans, halved onion, unpeeled garlic, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the beans are almost tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid (should be about 5 cups); discard pancetta, onion, garlic, and bay leaf.

2. Heat olive oil over a medium flame in the now-empty soup pot. Add diced onion, celery, carrots, and leeks and cook until softened but not brown, about 7 minutes. Add 1 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste. Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add bean cooking liquid, tomatoes, and escarole to the pot. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Put the beans back in, increase heat to medium high, and bring to simmer. Add fresh rosemary, cover and let stand off heat 15-20 minutes. Discard rosemary and season to taste with salt and pepper.
    (Freely adapted to my personal taste from “The Secrets of Tuscan White Bean Soup,” COOK’S ILLUSTRATED magazine, Jan-Feb 2001)

Well, yes, it is rather long…

Oh… The thread, the recipe thread.

Well, Javamaven and I have begun negotiations on what it will take to rev up Volume II of the Ultimate Recipe Thread.

Made you look!

As soon as we get done with page seven I’ll probably have the Mods lock it and begin the next volume.

::sidles over and grabs a bowl of Ike’s delicious soup::

:eek:
:stuck_out_tongue:

I think the word “Cafe” in the forum title does not mean what you think it means.

:slight_smile: