Recipes from your state

I grew up in Upstate NY. Though I now live in Texas, I will never forget speidies served on soft white bread or Cornell chicken. I still make the latter on occasion to many accolades. Served with salt potatoes and corn on the cob, that could be my Last Meal.

:::drools:::

For Idaho you could also do an ice cream potato. It’s not a potato, just in case you were worried. Shape vanilla ice cream into a rough potato shape. Roll it in cocoa powder. serve it with sprinkles and whipped cream to look like baked potato toppings. It’s a fair favorite around here.

We also do deep fried bread dough and call it scones. That’s awesome stuff. Do a roll sized hunk and flatten it slightly before you throw it in the oil. Serve with honey and butter.

Funeral potatoes are pretty common around here as well. There are recipes all over the internet for them. It’s a mix of cream cheese, butter, cheddar cheese, and pre cooked shredded potatoes. (some recipes include chopped onions, but that’s just nasty.) throw it in a casserole dish with or without the traditional corn flake topping (bread crumbs also work.) Some recipes call them cheesy potatoes or other such nonsense, but it’s like the whole “better than anything” cake. Just someone changing the name to make it sound a little nicer.

there’s also awesome blossoms. If it weren’t for Southwestern Idaho you wouldn’t have onions big enough for them. The six inch onions come from here.

The recipes from my home state (Oregon) include:
Clam Bisque
Cold Poached Salmon
Rich Strawberry Shortcake

Sorry, just couldn’t let that go by. My favorite sandwich in the world. In fact I’m making some rye bread (cheating with a bread maker) and making them tomorrow for my wife for Mother’s day.

I wish I would have known before where they originated… I may have made a pilgrimage.

You guys are great!
The rule we made is we have to make it as authentic as possible. No substituting of items.

She remembered she had a US puzzle. We will put the pieces in a bag and pick them out randomly.

Right now, the mystery for me is the Midwest.

What about Runskas? Is that the right name?

I looked it up and discovered that the earliest printed recipe for chess pie was from a Fort Worth cook book. That’s our city. :slight_smile:

I haven’t checked the statistics lately so I imagine things can change.

In 2010 we were number one with 98% of the country’s birds. Worthington, MN goes by the nickname “Turkey Capitol of the World”

Are you talking about raising or processing?

From Kentucky there’s the famous Hot Brown. There are a ton of other versions out there but my mother never thought any of them were as good as the original.

Then for dessert there’s this pie. This recipe calls it Pegasus Pie but my mother always called it Winner’s Circle Pie. Really it should be Derby Pie but Kern’s Bakery will sue your tail off if you call it that. Some people add a splash of bourbon to it also. One year my sister accidentally put in twice the amount of chocolate chips called for - it was a dense pie but very good!

You forgot fried Razor clams. This would apply to coastal Washington as well.

I’ve got about 15 dozen in my freezer so far and another couple months to take advantage of low tides. (License cost per year: $7.00, and includes all shellfish) They are a completely different thing than the hard shell clams most people are familiar with.

Butterflied open, breaded, and very quickly fried in hot oil. Two will cover a plate. You get up early in the morning and head to the beach and it is just you, your shovel, and 5000 other people with the same plan. Each taking home 15 clams a day. There are millions of these clams on the beaches North and South of the Columbia River. Digging them is the most fun you can have on the beach with your clothes on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=razor+clams&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RymPUYO3DMaXiAKkvoDoCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=934#imgrc=IyS7C5QsE9ce1M%3A%3B3nqXLtDoYvL6TM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.clamdigging.info%252Fimages_folder%252FJerry’s%252520Razor%252520Clams%2525201.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.clamdigging.info%252Frazorclamphotoalbum.html%3B3378%3B2988

And then there is Dungeness Crab, far superior to even Alaskan King Crab.

I have to agree about the Strawberries. June Oregon Strawberries are heaven. They don’t ship or keep well, and then they are gone. But for a short time they are the best to be found anywhere. The things they sell in most stores look like strawberries, and even taste a little like them. But once you have had a real, fresh June strawberry from Oregon the others you find will taste like cardboard.

California foods include the California sushi roll, Santa Maria BBQ, cioppino, dungeness crabs and artichokes.

This tastes a lot better if you make it at least a couple of hours ahead of time.

Well I typed out a recipe for Maryland Crab Cakes but it went poof before I could hit send,

We’ll try again.

!/2 cup bread crumbs
2T chopped parsley
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1t prepared yellow mustard
1-2t Old Bay or similar seasoning
1 egg, slightly beaten
2t Worchestershire sauce (optional)

1 pound lump crab meat. (fresh or pasteurized)

You will want to pick through the crab meat, gently, to pick out any shells.
If the meat smells fishy or like ammonia, it’s bad. Take it back.

Mix everything but the crab meat in a large bowl.
Gently fold in the crab meat taking care not to break up the lumps.

(I can’t remember who it was but some woman on a cooking show actually used a fork to mix in the crab meat, purposely breaking up the lumps. That is NOT how it’s done).

It helps to cover and refrigerate for an hour or so to let the mixture set up.

Form the crab mixture into 4-8 cakes.

Fry in oil (or butter) until golden on each side (about 5 minutes on each side).
Turn gently so you don’t break up the cakes.

They can also be broiled until golden brown.

They can be eaten as is, put between crackers with a little yellow mustard, or on a roll with lettuce, tomato and mayo.

Serve with cole slaw, french fries and sliced tomatoes.
Corn on the cob, cucumber salad go with them too.
Watermelon for dessert.
If you really feel ambitious you could always try a Smith Island 10 Layer Cake.

Wow! Who’d’a thunk? Usually the Tennessee / Texas stuff goes the other way. :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, they are still a Tennessee favorite. I’ve never seen it on menus or grocery stores in Fort Worth, but my experiences there are much more limited. Here, you’re not allowed to have a holiday without Chess pie. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is more local/regional to the Springfield area than it is statewide, but if you don’t have anything for Illinois, you could make horseshoes. (See here or elsewhere for alternative recipes.)

In addition:

Simple Remoulade Sauce

1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp Old Bay
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or 2 tsp dried chopped parsley
Additional dried mustard or hot pepper to taste

Mix mayo and sour cream thoroughly, stir in other ingredients. Make this first, and keep cold. Put a dollop on top of hot crab cakes. It will quickly warm and spread over the cake.

I grew up in Merlin. Visited Balmer a while back and ate crab for lunch and dinner every day. They’re surprisingly hard to find up here in the Seafood Capital of the World.

Thoughts for Georgia:

Peach cobbler
Salsa with Georgia peaches and Vidalia onions
Vidalia onion rights
Boilt peanuts (I’d go with the something with onions or peaches myself :slight_smile: )

For Ohio, Buckeyes. I don’t currently live there, but I have lived there 3 times.
Here’s one

I’ll try to find the family recipe, but this one looks about right.

Green jello with carrot shavings for Utah.

Bad News Baboon,
How are you doing so far? I think our posts represent the most populated states so I wouldn’t be surprised if you lacked recipes from Idaho or Montanna.

Fried chicken and garlic mashed potatoes from Arkansas, I guess. You probably don’t have a barbecue pit.

But think this through, man.
I had a nine year old girl try to cook breakfast for me.
It was scary. :eek: