Mmmmmmm......tacos....mmmmmm

One of my favorite foods, whether breakfast or beef, chicken or fish. Here’s one o’ my faves:

Salmon Tacos
Half pound - one pound raw salmon, boned and skinned
Olive oil
Bunch of scallions
Sour cream
Chipotle powder or sauce
Corn torts

Mix some chipotle powder or some of the sauce from canned peppers into the sour cream and set aside. Cut the salmon into manageable chunks. Cook the salmon in a bit of oil on medium heat until just starting to flake, then break into smaller pieces. Remove most of it, but leave some in the pan and fry it a little crisp, adding the chopped scallions near the end. In the meantime, heat a heavy skillet until good and hot, add a very small amount of oil if desired, and heat the torts (or wrap and heat in the oven, or grill them, or whatever). When the scallions are heated through, add the rest of the salmon back in, mix, and spoon into hot torts, topping with the chipotle/sour cream mixture.

You would think the corn flavor would compete with the salmon, but it’s in a good way.

Whaddy got?

I got nothin’. I just came in to say I love your threads, Chefguy. You have such creative ideas!

I got nothing either…I just came in to say I LOVE TACOS

You lost me with the first ingredient, but I love tacos anyway. Especially the fish tacos you get from the carts in Ensenada. We just had the man a twenty, and say “Keep the Tecate and tacos coming until that is used up.” Stuffed to the gills on the cheap.

Tonight I’m going to make shredded pork tacos. Yum.

I didn’t want to hijack this thread, so I started a salmon recipe thread.

In NoWA I was jonzin’ for fish tacos. Tacos del Mar’s fish tacos were stingy on the fish. The late (and certainly lamented) Casa Que Pasa’s fish tacos were good, but had way too much salad on them. And they used lettuce instead of cabbage. So I decided to make my own.

White fish fillets (I used tilapia)
McCormack Cajun Style Fish Fry
Cabbage
Sour cream
Packet taco seasoning
Lime(s)
Corn tortillas
Vegetable oil
Beer

Combine part of a packet of taco seasoning with the sour cream. Not too much, not too little. You’ll have to suit it to your own taste. Coat the fish in the fish fry according to instructions. Fry in the hot vegetable oil. Shred some cabbage. Drain the fish and put it into the warmed corn tortillas. Squeeze lime juice onto the fish. Add some shredded cabbage. Add some of the sour cream mixture. The beer is not to be added to the recipe. It’s for drinking. I like a nice Kona style, like Longboard Lager.

Yes, my recipe uses ‘repared’ stuff. But it’s easy, and it’s tasty, and you can jazz it up as you like.

Can’t believe this thread tanked so quickly. No love for da stuffed torts?

I made some halibut tacos yesterday with flour torts. Coated the halibut pieces with Cajun seasoning and flash fried in a little oil until just barely done. Flake them apart and accessorize as needed, but the spices pretty much take over. Some lime would have been nice, though. On Saturday I made breakfast burritos with bacon seasoned with chipotle, cumin and ancho, some cilantro, and eggs cooked with cream cheese. Flour torts, of course. Yeah, I’m in a rut.

Oh, I love tacos in all shapes and sizes.

My favorite include a swiss chard & onion one (as described in one of Rick Bayless’s books), a taco stuffed with flavored mashed potatoes and deep fried (yum yum!), al pastor (marinated pork cooked on a spit a la gyros, topped with pineapples), grilled carne asada, chorizo & potato, San Diego-style deep-fried fish tacos, cochinita pibil (achiote-rubbed pork cooked slowly in a banana leaf) etc. There’s so many.

I make veggie tacos that even committed carnivores have praised extravagantly. And they’re embarrasingly easy, too:

In a skillet, combine a can of black beans, a can of corn (drained) and a can of petite-diced tomatoes. Heat through, and season as you wish - in a pinch, I have used an envelope of McCormick’s or Lawry’s taco seasoning. Pile into corn or flour tortillas, with all the fixin’s: lettuce, cheese, sour cream, onion, avocado, etc. I make Spanish rice on the side, but my portion usually ends up in my tacos along with everything else.

Back in my meat-eating days, I preferred crock-potted pork roast, shredded and mixed with a bit of tomato sauce and some cumin, as the base for my tacos.

LifeOnWry’s tacos sound yummy. I love making taco filling out of tempeh, but I haven’t yet been able to find it in any stores here.

The only thing the OP is missing in that recipe is a grill.

When I make soft tacos/fajitas (I don’t really care about distinctions), it begins and ends with the grill. Meats will include a

lime/cumin marianated flank steak
garlic/mango/olive oil chicken
chili-powder rubbed salmon.
grilled chorizo
shrimp with salt/pepper

I’ll make them with left over t-bones, left over chicken roasts, left over pork. Sometimes I think the taco was invented by some Mexican going, “honey, what are we going to do with this left over chicken and that onion that’s starting to sprout.”

“Who cares, chop it up, throw it on the coals, and roll it in a tortilla.”

I’ll wrap some onions/green peppers in foil with butter and sugar, and throw that on the grill until the veggies are soft and sweet.

When I’m really doing it up, I’ll grill some combination of corn/tomato/red onion/jalapenos/mangoes and put that together in a salsa.

I’ll finish with tossing the shells on the grid-iron for a few seconds each side, possibly with some cheese melted onto it (don’t let the shells burn).

Yup, I love making fajitas on the grill. When I’m feeling extra fancy, I’ll make 3-layer quesadillas that I melt together over the coals.

Great for parties. Great for quick suppers. Great for getting rid of whatever is sitting around.

I love the taco.

I make plain ol’ tacos, and the Mexican dudes at my husband’s work taught him to put fillers in with the ground beef. We put Ore Ida Potatos O’Brien in with the meat. Deeee-lish. I also put Near East Spanish Rice in them. I like that better than the spuds, but Mr. K’s a potato guy, so we do that more often.

Another of my favorites is to cook up some pork/chipotle and top it with a salsa made from black beans, fresh mangos, red onion and a bit of cumin.