Recipes from your state

Michigan doesn’t have a lot of regional specialties, but Cornish Pasties are strongly associated with michigan’s upper peninsula.

When I think of Michigan food, I think of Coney Dogs and Detroit-style pizza a la Buddy’s.

Most of the pie cherries (i.e. sour cherries) in the country come from Michigan, so cherry pie could represent that state.

The only problem with both of these is that the top is going to be impossible to get in Texas and the latter is out of season (and actually so is the first). I haven’t been in Washington long but I would say that the biggest traditional food other than those is certainly salmon and by that I mean Copper River Salmon from Alaska. Every store and restaurant advertises it like crazy when the Copper River salmon are available and everyone grills it for the couple of weeks it is available.

So the recipe is quite simple: Put it skin down on the grill. The moment the top gets milky and more importantly the flaking apart of the pieces happens, remove it and serve.

Some people prepare it ahead with a little sea salt on top. Others use a little butter and lemon. But it is a little fattier than most salmon so you don’t need much prep beforehand.

Theoretically any salmon will do, but this has become synonymous with early summer grilling with friends in my mind.

You and salinqmind stole my answers.
In case the OP has trouble finding a Cornell recipe or salt potatoes recipe:

Cornell Recipe (for 4 leg quarters or 4 breast halves):
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cider vinegar
5 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients, marinate chicken for at least 4 hours, up to 24.
Grill.

Salt Potatoes
3 lb small white potaties (can use red but make sure they are thin-skinned and about bite-sized)
1 1/2 cups salt
2 quarts water
butter
(keep the salt to water ratio if you decide to increase the water you use)

Bring water to a boil, dissolve the salt in it (may take some stirring). Add potatoes and boil around 20 minutes. Drain and dress with melted butter.

I don’t have a favorite spiedies recipe because I always just buy State Fair Spiedie marinade. Available online - http://www.spiedie.com/ - though shipping costs are pretty high. If you decide you’d like to try State Fair marinade, PM me.

Never heard of this one until they mentioned it on Jeopardy! a few minutes ago:

(No, I’m not from Pennsylvania, but I have spent some time there.)

An Abomination unto the Lord! Runzas are rectangular perversions that allow cheese, mushrooms, and other foul contaminations! Volga-German fare is best represented by the Bierock!

I mean, really. Who would prefer a name that screams ‘diarrhea’ over a ‘Beer Rock’?!?! Only people intellectually stunted by the over-consumption of corn, that’s who!

Or so I was taught in Kansas History class in 6th grade.

In all seriousness, I think Runza for Nebraska and Bierock for Kansas are the answers you’re looking for. I can’t think of any food even close to distinctly Kansan as Bierocks. Nebraska has its own version in the form of the Runza. The Bierock is the only food that was in regular rotation on my school lunch menu that I doubt I share with almost every other American*.

I make a point to stop and pick up a few every time I’m back home in Western Kansas. Even the grocery stores around here (far east Kansas) don’t get them right (way too much cabbage and too little beef). Gotta have second-generation immigrant Grandma’s recipe…

[whistful] Man, I just recalled how much I looked forward to Bierock day for school lunches…[/whistful]

*With the possible exception of beef & noodles, semi-common on the lunch menu and requisite at funerals.

To add some lower peninsula flavor: Olive burgers and Coney dogs.

Good for a summer night grill-out.

Kentucky: (1) Michelin-tenderized roadkill; (2) 2 tbs crystal meth; (3) 60 mg Oxycontin; (4) 16 oz. moonshine; (5) 3 hairy buds of KY Gold MJ; and (6) constant monitoring throughout the day without interruption of employment afforded by (a) Section 8 housing, (b) food stamps, © Social Security Title XVI Disability Benefits (you know, the ones ya get if you’ve never worked), (d) utility subsidies, (e) free transportation shuttles, and (f) medical cards for you and your prodigious brood…peace/katie

Welcome to the SDMB, Katie Mae. We ask that people stay on topic; that they not engage in political commentary in Cafe Society threads; and that they refrain from offensive generalizations about large groups of people.

Although I’m not going to give you one warning for this post, let alone three, it’s not a good sign that you’ve gotten a mod note already. I recommend you review our rules and etiquette guidelines before posting too much more to avoid further problems.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

For South Carolina try a low country favorite, Shrimp and Grits.

For a characteristic Tennessee flavor try a Memphis style bbq ribs. And though true Memphis bbq has not sauce, you might prepare them with a Jack Daniels BBQ glaze.

I’ve shown her these recipes and ideas- she’s thrilled!
I’ll do my best to post pictures so you can see her culinary efforts.

Update!

Here is our list so far:

Alaska: king crab
Washington: grilled salmon
Maine: blueberry waffles
Ohio: Cincinnati chile
New Mexico: chile verde
Texas: BBQ
New York*: bagels and lox

Upcoming:
Michigan: pasties and Macinac fudge.
Pennsylvania: Philly cheesesteak
Florida: Cuban food (undetermined) and key lime pie.

This project has been a lot of fun. I’ve really enjoyed learning about the different states.
I’ve been reading Empire of the Summer Moon and it has inspired me to find Native American recipes. Oklahoma, perhaps?

*some states we will do more than once because of the diversity. Bagels and lox was picked in that she loves fish and this is easy to assemble. I’m making her do the work to learn how to cook.

Good for you! It’s one of the advantages of doing the Hot Brown when you get to Ky. The only actual cooking to do is making the cheese sauce, and that teaches you how to make a roux/gravy which is a pretty major fundamental to know if you’re going to do any French or Cajun type cooking.

Since it’s now summertime, you could make popsicles for ‘California’, as they were invented in San Francisco.

And for yourself (but not your daughter), a couple other Bay Area inventions: the mimosa and the martini.