Recipes: Low Fat, Low Carb, Low Sodium, Inexpensive, Quick & Easy To Make

…Preferably ones that taste good. :wink: Are there any out there that fit this criteria?

Recipe for an entree? A specific kind of dish? A dessert? A little help! lol!

I know of a simple dessert, chocolate pudding, that’d fit the bill. The pudding is a powder mix (sorry I can’t recall the brand) and you blend it with light tofu. IT’S GREAT, for being low fat, low sugar, low carb, low sodium, inexpensive, quick & easy! I got the pudding mix and tofu at my local health food store! The pudding mix was in the section where they have bread mixes and such. Put both in a blender and in less than a minute you’ve got dessert! No need to refrigerate right away if you don’t want to either. The tofu gives it some substance so it’s not runny. I do like to chill it though, personal preference.

Good luck to you. :smiley:

Into a wok or large nonstick skillet that you can put a dome lid upon slosh about a quarter cup of defatted chicken broth, a tsp of minced garlic and saute/stirfry over fairly high heat until the garlic is starting to go translucent.

Take a 10 oz bag of baby spinach leaves and wash thoroughly and pat dry. If some of the stems are a bit long, trim them off.

Toss the spinach into the hot garlic broth and stirfry/toss around quickly, then put the dome lid on and turn off the heat. Wait for about 2 minutes, then take the lid off and stir or toss around a bit more. The spinach should be a bit wilted but not mush now. Drizzle on about a tablespoon or two of good inexpensive balsamic vinegar and toss to mix.

Pour out into a serving bowl and sprinkle about a tbsp of toasted or raw sesame seeds on top. Serve warm as a warm salad/side dish.

this is a lowfat version of my favorite hot bacon/spinach salad. You can make it totally vegan by substituting vegetable broth or white wine for the chicken broth. If you wanted a sort of low fat vegan version, use middle eastern NONTOASTED sesame seed oil instead of the broth, or almond oil, or olive oil.

Buy one (1) apple. Rinse it off. Eat it.

Nice thing about this recipe is that it scales up very easily if you have more people coming over.

Take one glass of water.

Add two ice cubes.

Drink.

That’s about all I can think of, darnit.

You call that low carb? Those things are just loaded with sugar! :frowning:

My recipe:

British Delight

Ingredients:
Hot Water
Loose Tea

Place the loose tea in a tea ball, and brew in the water for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea ball, and drink resulting concoction.

Ask me sometime for the recipe for my famous “Dying of Thirst in the Desert Special.”

Daniel

All types; Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Snacks…Anything that’s edible and goes into your mouth. :wink:

Major brownie points for providing me with snack recipes. I gotta get away from Doritos and Ice Cream. Whoever invented those should be shot! :wink:

LMAO!! That really cracked me up. Thanks! :smiley:

Curses–I guess my “Dying of Thirst in the Desert Special” isn’t so special after all.

Daniel

Try here under the Kitchen section.

Here’s a very quick and easy spinach-lentil-tofu-curry thing I’ve been making a lot lately.
In a medium pot, place:

1 package frozen spinach - thawed,
1 package Mori-nu tofu, diced, or 1/2 of the larger tofu packages,
1 cup lentils
As much diced onion as you like - I use a whole large one,
minced garlic, or garlic powder, if you dig that sort of thing,
As much curry powder as you can stand

Add your choice of defatted broth [I use veggie], or water plus a bouillon cube, enough to just cover the ingredients. Stir well, bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or as long as it takes for most of the water to evaporate and the lentils to be done.

Salt to taste, add more curry powder if you’d like, and eat out of the pot with a REALLY big serving spoon.

It’s really easy to add or substitute whatever veggies you like to this. Carrots, tomatoes and potatoes instead of the spinach work really well, but make it carby.

… and i JUST noticed the low sodium requirement, so I suppose you could use a reduced sodium broth and nix the extra salt at the end. This dish is WAY inexpensive, though, and makes an enormous amount of food that stores well in the fridge. Frozen spinach packages are like 75c, and four-cup bags of lentils cost about two bucks.

Recipe/cooking threads belong in Cafe Society. I’ll move this for you.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB

On a more serious note, you’re asking for something very difficult, and something I’ve never heard of a real diet asking for. The problem is that calories come from carbohydrates (stop saying carbs! shudder), fat, and protein. You’re asking for something low-fat and low-carbohydrate; that means something that’s almost all protein. And almost all protein foods have got a high salt content in them; otherwise, they’re not very tasty. Do you feel like splurging on hard-boiled egg whites without any salt?

Most diets advise cutting down on either fats or on carbohydrates. Low-fat diets tend to emphasize eating whole foods: whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, and lowfat dairy products like yoghurt. Low-carbohydrate diets tend to emphasize–well, I’ll let their proponents tell you, 'cuz I can’t really do it.

But just about all reputable dietitians tell you to focus primarily on lowering your total caloric intake. If this is what you’re interested in, people can help you a lot more easily.

That said, note that tofu is NOT a low-fat food: about 50% of its calories come from fat.

Daniel

[pet peeve]

It’s “these criteria”, dammit.

[/pet peeve]

As LHoD already noted, you’re kinda asking for trouble–or at least boredom–here. Besides, for most people, reasonable quantities of fat, carbohydrates, and salt aren’t going to be a problem. That being said, you might want to look at things like the South Beach Diet Cookbook and similar books.