Recommend a book for a middle-aged woman...

It’s not for me, I’m not a middle-aged woman. I’ve decided to give my mother a book for mother’s day.

I picked out Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Since it’s pretty cheap I want to buy her another book.

Eat, Pray, Love seems like a perfect fit for her. It’s about spirituality, womanhood and foreign culture. A movie about the book is being made with Julia Roberts, and it’s an Oprah book club selection.

Now I need another book that’s based on similar themes as Eat, Pray, Love. She did did not like The Secret, so we are talking about a book on spirituality but not as dumb as The Secret.

Middle-aged females and self-proclaimed experts on middle-aged females are invited to respond.

I recommend The Secret Life of Bees (Kidd) or Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston!)

I second Hazle’s choices…especially Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

I’m 43, is that middle-aged? I’m currently reading Devotion by Dani Shapiro and enjoying it.

How about Reading Lolita in Teheran?

The Three Weissmans of Westport? It’s about two sisters (late forties and early fifties) who move with their mother to a relative’s beach house in Westport after the mother’s husband abruptly divorces her. I found it to be very well-written, but light. It parallels Sense and Sensibility, so I enjoyed waiting for the next updated plot twist, but I think it’d be fun even if one had never heard of Jane Austen.

It’s not spiritual and it’s not about a foreign culture, but everybody likes The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It’s an epistolary novel, set in Guernsey in 1946. It’s totally charming but not smarmy.

If she can handle something a bit darker, I’d suggest A Fine Balance. It’s set in India in the 70’s. It’s a big book which can be daunting, but it’s a real page-turner, heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.

The Faith Club, by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver, and Priscilla Warner. It’s non-fiction, about these three women in New York City who started their own spiritual discussion club (one is Jewish, one is Christian, and one is Muslim) after 9/11. In my opinion, it’s a little uneven, but overall an interesting premise, and the Muslim woman is of Palestinian background and I liked the insights into that culture.

How about Alexander McCall Smith’s #1 Ladies’ Detective Agency Series? They’re light, atmospheric and moral (in a charming rather than sanctimonious way).

Ko,
Middle Aged Woman

AuntiePam, you beat me to it. Charming is exactly the word I used to describe that book. I can’t think of one I’ve enjoyed more lately.

And maybe this one? I haven’t read it, but the friend I gave it to enjoyed it. Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.

One of my new favorites is Broken for You, which was recommended to me by my mother. It’s about relationships among women, and has some beautiful spiritual aspects.

Never mind.

My mom (early 50s) is big into books about foreign culture too and really like A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

I got my Mom two nurse trilogies put out by Guideposts. As she is a retired nurse I thought she would like them. She is a big Nora Roberts fan but she has read them all!

Middle-aged (48) woman checking in. At the moment I am finishing up “Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter”. Really enjoying it but don’t think I would recommend it to too many other women my age of my aquaintance, unless I know a bit more about their tastes.

Books I just picked up from the library today:
The Double Comfort Safari Club - Alexander McCall Smith’s latest
The Virgin In the Ice - Ellis Peters - a Brother Cadfael re-read
Making Rounds with Oscar - David Dosa MD - a non-fiction book

Books I’ve enjoyed that other women my age I know also enjoyed:
Others in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (McCall Smith)
Classics such as Jane Eyre and the Jane Austin book of your choice
A number of Elizabeth Peter’s books, especially the first few Amelia Peabody books

I don’t read a lot of what’s been aimed at my demographic in the last few years.

It was a good book, but don’t give it to anyone who collects dishes. Like me. :eek:

Middle aged woman checking in here.

I really loved *The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society *as well as *Water for Elephants *by Sara Gruen.

Currently reading *The Postmistress *by Sarah Blake and I think it’s going to be on my favorites list, too.