Recommend a book to me!

“Haroun and the Sea of Stories” by Rushdie is a great read, a wonderfully rich fantasy tale that 's also a political commentary

Pick up John Kennedy Toole’s A Confederacy of Dunces, it’s one of the greatest books I’ve ever read. The main character/head dunce, Ignatius Reilly’s antics will go down in American Lit infamy along with Scarlett O’Hara – he’s that memorable. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry and you’ll thank me later.

Joshua, Son of None by Nancy Freedman (Delacorte 1973) is an interesting, if scientifically flawed, book about a doctor who clones a bit of tissue from the assassinated John F. Kennedy in the hopes of raising an exact duplicate of the martyred President. It was pretty controversial stuff in 1973, and still good reading. You can buy it at the linked site, or, you might still find it in your library system.

I’ve never heard of this series. Who’s the author? Are they any good?

:wink:

Allow me to cast a 2nd vote for Neverwhere.

However, if you read only one more fiction book in your life, it must be Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
This book has it all: psycho cryptanalysts in threadbare bathrobes, pipe organs, Captain Crunch fetishism, Van Eck phreaking, and a highly original approach to “hiding wealth”.

:rolleyes: okay that probably doesn’t sell it very well. Seriously though, block off about 4 days of your life and pick up a copy (get a bunch of canned soup or something to keep yourself going).

my 2 cents worth anyway.

p.s. number 2 book on my hit parade, Last Call by Tim Powers, especially if you like card games, or Vegas related pop culture. Plus he’s just an AWESOME writer.

number 3, Headhunter by Timothy Findley (canlit). Think Heart of Darkness crossed with a light smattering of Anne Rice on hallucinogens, in a modern day metropolis.

Oh, and of course, anything by Terry Pratchett but I got the impression from the OP that you did not want to read any Sci fi for a while…?

Bad Atronomy, by Philip Plaitt.

A Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart – it’s fantasy that reads like a fable, charming without being smarmy – one of those books that you’ll want to read more than once.

Here’s a review:

http://www.steelypips.org/reviews/bobirds.html

This looks interesting.

Wow! I don’t check the Straight Dope for a while and find this thread is still going strong. I thought it had died a few days ago.

All these recomendations are great, and a little intriging. (Captain Crunch fetishism?:eek: )

I still haven’t decided which ones to choose yet though… They all look good…

Oh well, don’t stop now!

I would like to second the recomendation of John Irving books. Also try Pimp by Icebreg Slim if you like biographies. I recently finished that one and was very impressed. If you want something a little more serious check out 1984 by Goerge Orwell, a book everyone should read at some point. It is hard to get into b/c the first few chapters are a bit boring but if you can get past them you won’t regret it. Anything by Kurt Vonnegut is good too.

My favorite book is My Name Is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok.

I read it every few years. There is ample reason to do so…

Cartooniverse

I recomend “The Age of Spiritual Machines” by Ray Kurzweil. Its a vision of the technologic and societal changes MIT Media Lab professor Ray Kurzweil predicts for the next century. After reading this book Sun Microsystems CEO Bill Joy wrote a letter that was published in Wired Magazine calling for the end of all advanced research in nanotechnology, biotechnology, and artifical intelligence. It’s that good.

Shad, by John Corrington.