Recommend a computer mouse; I'll tell ya my requirements

Yeah yeah yeah… read the on-line reviews. Nonetheless, I’m here asking Dopers to opine based on how I use le mouse.

1. Yes, I browse the web often and efficiently, but… I don’t have a mouse that let’s me click for back and forward (built-in browser buttons).

2. I live by ‘open link in new tab’, which is the best way to go down rabbit holes. I use the scroll wheel for this (press down, and the default is to open a link in new tab automatically w/out selecting anything. I need to maintain this in the new mouse.

3. I love the scroll wheel – it has to be a wheel it the new mouse (some are touch senstive thingy levers. No way)

4. I need some precision. I do a lot of photo editting and photo manipulation. Has to track accurately, smoothly and all that jazz.
    Hmmm… I think that is it. I prefer wireless, but not a deal breaker.
    Before I drop upwards of 100 U.S. dollars on a new mouse, I have to pop in here, 'cause SDMB never failed me before.

While I’m more of a “whatever Dell throws in the box” kinda guy, I know people swear by gaming mice, for example - http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice
These are made to be comfortable and accurate, and often have additional buttons that are customizable for different functions.

Apparently, thisis one of the best mass market mice money can buy.

I use thisone. I installed all of the weights, and I like the feel it gives it fully weighted. It makes it feel like a quality piece of professional equipment, like the flight controls in an aircraft cockpit.

Just to show that logitech has something for everyone, apparently this oneis what you get if you want to save every penny. You can get it on various deals and specials for half what it is listed on Amazon.

My daughter had an Acer Ferrari laptop some time ago. She hated the mouse but I loved it. Small but substantial. I finally wore it out and have never found one like it.

I’m a fan of the Razer Imperator. Comfortable in my hand with page forward/back thumb buttons. It even has on-the-fly DPI switching which could be handy in image editing. Dial down the DPI for pixel by pixel work or wind it up for rapid scrolling.

Another vote for gaming mice. No hassle with batteries (I hate wireless mice) and very precise. I use a razer abyssus, and the backspace button if I want to go back.

I’ve had this wireless trackball mouse since 2010: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570 and have been really happy with it. I use it on a large monitor from 8 feet away. Seems to meet all your criteria and I think it works great, much more comfortable than moving a mouse around on a pad. It’s fun to flick the mouse around with a hard spin on the ball with my thumb. As far as batteries, it takes one AA and I think I’ve changed it twice.

If you mouse left handed be aware that most gaming mice are designed for right handed use only. I use a Razer Taipan which is one of the few high end ambidextrous gaming mice available.

This is what I have and use (Logitech M510). It does what it’s supposed to do. Good, solid weight and feel in my hand. Powered by 2 AA batteries, they’re supposed to last up to 2 years. Had mine about 1.5 years on the original batteries, used several hours every day. You can download software from Logitech that will let you program the buttons pretty much any way you want. And cheap enough you don’t have to worry about banging it around.

I initially thought the thumb controls looked far back on all the models, but now I notice my actual thumb position is right there.

Yes, I’m a righty… not a wrongy.

Hmmm… so looks like precision is best with wired mice.

Seems like it’s coming down to Razer vs. Logitech G502 Proteus…

That’s the one I got. It is very comfortable and so far it has gone a year on no battery change.

I used to own a Razer (Death Adder 2013) and wasn’t impressed. The buttons went flaky after less than a year which, for a $60+ mouse, is pretty ridiculous.

I replaced it with a Monoprice branded mouse (gaming model with weights, braided cord, etc) which unfortunately is no longer available but have been a lot happier with it and only spent $30.

I used to own a Logitech MX Revolution and loved that mouse so I’ve no quarrel with the Logitech brand.

I loved my logitech MX, and I would agree that it was the nicest mouse I’ve used, but it lasted me less than 2 years- too short for that price. When it failed I got a Perixx MX-1000 Iron, a wired gaming mouse from a brand I’d never heard of for $20. It’s lasted me 2 years so far, but at that price I’ll be less disappointed if it fails soon.

I’ve bought various mid-upper range Logitech mice over the years. Currently I’m using a G700.
IMO they’re ergonomically and functionally very nice, but they have a few flaws that make it hard to justify $100 price tags.

For example, my current G700 has a pretty mediocre battery life, though it can also use a USB cable to plug into the computer and charge the battery. If I remember to plug it in every time I leave the computer, there’s enough charge to use the wireless for several hours at a time. But I forget, and usually just keep it plugged in. Also, after 2 years the middle mouse button is starting to get glitchy. Sometimes it’s stuck pressed down, or sometimes it’s stuck right on the edge of being pressed so every time the mouse moves there are random button presses. It’s usually fixed by a few good whacks…

Luckily, Logitech’s last years’ top end models go on sale for reasonable prices when the new models come out, and there’s not any big improvement between models. So if you wait for the old models to go on sale for $50, you can get a very nice mouse for a reasonable price.

Been using these for many years.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-TrackMan-Marble-Wheel-Mac/dp/B00004L8IG

I have 4, 2 with USB & 2 with PS2 connections.

Take it apart twice a year & clean out the dirt, fuzz & cat hair and it is like new.

About a dollar in garage sales.

Cluttered desk & lots of critters at this house. :smiley:

1. If you’re a gamer, you want a wired mouse, not wireless. Yes, I know they sell wireless gamer mice. Don’t fall for it.

2. I like Logitech mice because I have small hands and the Logitechs seem to fit me better than the Microsoft & Razer mice.

3. Until recently, I would have sworn that the best mouse ever made was the Logitech mx518. So naturally, they discontinued it.

However, I recently switched to the Logitech g502 and I see that my earlier regard for the 518 was misplaced. The 502 is God’s Own Mouse and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I’m going to put this mouse on my Christmas list and just stock pile them eternally against the day when Logitech inevitably breaks my heart again.

Good leads… and I seriously didn’t think Logitech would be some of the tops suggestions… now mulling…

The Logitech trackball I use has 6500 reviews on Amazon, an overall 4.5 star rating, with 73% of that as 5 stars. Seems pretty good. Amazon listing for $29.95 here (I paid $60 for it in 2010), so maybe not too much to lose if you hate it: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-M570-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0043T7FXE

They make solid, high quality mice for cut rate prices. If you think about it, the mice making business is like a lot of others in that there are high fixed R&D costs and low marginal manufacturing costs. So, just a few near monopoly suppliers becomes the market outcome.

Sure, there are bespoke ultra-custom mice that are better. Maybe some that are customized to your hand. But they are going to be enormously more expensive.

I have been using the Performance Mouse MXfor years. I’m on my second one.

Pro tip: don’t bother trying to charge it with the USB cable–the cable is annoying, and it doesn’t do mouse stuff, so if you only have one port available, you can’t plug in the dongle and can’t use your mouse. The internal battery is the same as an Eneloop, so buy a pack of Eneloop AA rechargeable cells, and swap out the battery for a fresh one when it goes low.

And you are sure to have plenty of uses for these cool batteries elsewhere in your house. I use them for my photo flashes and other gear. No need to buy bulk packs of alkaline cells.