Recommend a craft to the craft-challenged daughter of Martha Stewart

I recommend fake stained glass as an easy project with a pretty outcome. The best thing about it is that it looks good even if you mess up, because real stained glass often has flaws too. You can buy the materials at any large craft store.

Basically, you first choose an item made of glass to “stain”. (I recommend something flat, or with flat sides, for the first few projects.) It should be regular, clear glass- no raised designs or anything. Squared-off bottles and canisters are good. You can generally find many to choose from at places like Michaels.

Next, you decide what colors you want to use. You can use as many as you want. Find the glass staining aisle. You’ll find the “stain” in bottles. They look like the “puffy paint” stuff used on fabric. There’s a little squeeze tip on a plastic bottle. Gallery Glass and Delta are a few brand names. Sometimes it will be called glass paint or window color.

You’ll also need “leading” for the lines in the design. (The black or gray separating lines.) It will be called Simulated Liguid Leading or something like that. It comes in lots of colors, but black and gray are most common. It often comes in larger bottles than the colors.

Once you have all the stuff home, you plan your design. You can draw them on the glass with a sharpie, if you want a guide to follow. When you’ve finished planning, carefully apply the leading for the lines. You do this straight from the bottle. If you draw well, you can do elaborate designs. Even a simple geometric design or random pattern looks good though. If you screw up, just wipe it off with a paper towel or q-tip while the leading is still wet.

Tip: This is a no-brainer, but if you have a glass piece with sides, only apply leading and stain to one at a time.

When the leading is dry (about 3 hours to one day, depending on the thickness of the leading and size of the piece), fill in the spaces with the colors. Some people like to use a brush to apply the stain. This will make it more translucent. You can fill it in from the bottle as well. It is easier and the color will just be more opaque. The leading holds the colors in place, so there’s no danger of messing this part up!

Let it dry and repeat the process until you’ve finished.

I’ve made some great stuff this way. Easy as pie. They make nice presents too, especially if you fill a canister with candy, potporri (sp?) or some other goodies. :slight_smile:

Disclaimer- You must NEVER, EVER eat off of the stuff you make or microwave it. You also cannot put it in the dishwasher. It isn’t functional stuff, aside from putting things in them. They’re decorative pieces only.

If you really want cheap and hard to mess up, try decoupage. Buy decoupage medium (or water down white glue), spead on surface to decoupage, add pictures, paper, tissue, whatever, let set for a few seconds, add another layer of decoupage medium. Dries to a beautiful finish from matte to high-gloss, depending on the type of medium you buy. The most expensive thing is whatever you pick to stick stuff to. I personally like those wooden boxes, but you can decorate glass bottles, wooden key racks, old tea trays, anything that doesn’t move, really.

It is possible to make some really great things knitting and you don’t need to be a whizz at the stitches either. As long as you know these basic stitches you’ll be fine: cast on (and cast off ;)) knit, purl, increase, decrease.

I’ve had some fun making up knitted toys for charity projects, and then for friends’ children. The great thing about toys is that they knit up really quickly so that the boredom factor and the risk of having loads of things left incomplete, is greatly lessened. And I’m really impatient :wink:

Plus, you don’t have to spend £’s on supplies: most charity stores have second hand needles and wool scraps, so if it’s a craft you end up hating, you won’t beat yourself up about wasting money on supplies. Check out the range of pattern books by “Jean Greenhowe” - a random google found this for you, so I guess you can buy them in the states too:

http://www.yarnfwd.com/jeangr.html
Another thing: don’t worry if the first thing you make (whatever it is) doesn’t look as fabulous as whatever photographs you are looking at, and don’t compare your things to anyone else’s - you want to build up your confidence, not wreck it!

Another handy craft is folk art painting: it looks very complicated, but it’s amazing how effective something can look with just a couple of brush strokes.