Recommend a good shampoo and conditioner for long hair

Aussie 5 minute Miracle for conditioner. They sell these in singles so try one. You won’t be sorry.

Paul Mitchel is my favorite brand of hair products. They have a nice leave-in conditioner that is nice (but not as good as 5 minute miracle.) But P.M. is more expensive than your standard grocery store brand.

Pantene Smooth & Sleek

Gah. Not washing your hair for a month? I know it’s theoretically self-cleaning after a while but the very idea makes my head itch!

I’ve heard that self-cleaning idea. I knew a rather hippy-type chick once who believed you should never wash your hair, as it strips all the natural waxes etc etc.

She may possibly even have been right. Perhaps if she’d had really long hair and brushed it religiously the old-fashioned 100 strokes, scalp to end, every night, it might have worked. Perhaps if she rinsed it now and then. As it was, she had short hair, and it smelled really bad.

But I’m tempted to try MDM President’s trick of going longer between shampoos, with the plain water rinse and scalp massages in between. That’s not the same as not washing at all.

Guy, very thick hair almost to waist with a slight tendency to curl. I use whatever shampoo and conditioner is cheapest when I’m at the store. I shower every morning and always use both. I comb it out while it’s still wet (which provokes horror when I relate this fact) and then let it dry. Doesn’t take long.

The result is a lot of compliments. The trick, I think, is to not use much shampoo, but a ton of cheap conditioner - ideally it should be near or completely untangled and feel soft and piable via that before I do the wet-brushing-out (which would indeed be horrific if I hadn’t liberally used the conditioner).

Thank you all for your replies, it has been very helpfull! I normally shampoo & condition ever other day, because otherwise my hair gets waaay too greasy (I also have bangs, and they start looking greasy at the end of the second day). I think I’ll start just shampooing the first six or so inches that comes in contact with my scalp and gets greasy and just let the water rinse the rest of it (except for a full shampoo every week or so). I’ll drop the blowdryer (except for my bangs!) and I may start oil treatments on the end to try to recuperate them.

Thank you all again!

As a guy, all I can say is

Doesn’t your hair smell like ass, or at least “funky-hair-smell” after going a few days without washing it?

Nasty.

My advice, don’t wash your hair every day, every other day is good.
I use good old simple “finesse” shampoo and conditioner!
Works great for me.

The best shampoo and conditioner I’ve used lately is Garnier Fructis. It’s inexpensive, smells great, and it WORKS!!! Also, avon sells a shampoo conditioner combo that works amazingly well. I use it on my daughter’s long hair, and the tangles disappear! Also, her hair shimmers.

Do you think any one would suggest doing this if it did? I mean come on Shelly.

About the bangs getting oily (I have the opposite happen. I get those horrible frizzy flyaways a few days after my conditioner wears off so I use a spray-leave-in-one, abut anyway): Barrie says something else that works is to use one of those ‘squirt bottles’ (he usually finds the bigger sized ones in the lawn and garden section of Wal-Mart) filled with just water and soak your bangs or scalp or anywhere else that looks oily as often as needed. Says you may even have to do it several times that first day, and then it will be grand for days without wetting.

About the oil treatment for your ends: I can’t believe I forgot to plug my fav product in the whole wide world… Anti Frizz by Ion. I believe they sell this stuff at Sally’s and Eckerd’s, not too expensive, it has a pinkish top. It takes a few times of using it to find out what’s too much and what’s to little for your needs but after that, you’re all set

This is exactly what I do. Every other day, I shampoo just the scalp and let the water rinse the rest. I use Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner (just started about 2 weeks ago–it’s really great).

Once a week I shampoo all of it and deep condition it. So far, so good. I have tried to go longer than every other day and my hair at the scalp gets mega greasy and my scalp itches terribly. So, I wash the scalp every other day and that seems to help.