recommend a non-stick frying pan for me

Anodizing is what bonds a non-stick coating to the aluminum underneath. In the context of cookware, anodized almost always (possibly always) means there’s a non-stick coating applied. The other reason to anodize is to keep acidic food away from and prevent reacting with the aluminum, which can change its flavor.

Cookware takes up too much space in the dishwasher anyway. I hand wash almost all my cookware, whether or not it’s dishwasher safe.

I have a tfsl ultimate hard anodized that has held up for a few years.

Here’s a thread from the beginning of the year about the same thing:
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=887700

I stand by my remarks:

Also apparently an anodized pan, as I said at the time. Which is not a criticism.

@ puzzlegal
Wow - I thought I was tight with a dollar, your husband beats me by a country mile. I just bought two new non-stick pans in the last month. The 12 inch tefal was $24 on sale! Waiting 30 years to make a $24 purchase :eek:

I’d agree with some of the other posters & as you know, all non-stick pans are not created equal.

Any teflon coating works great for while, but heat actually breaks down it’s bond with the base surface and it starts to peel off over time. The hotter you tend to cook, (high heat versus low heat), the faster it peels off.

Also, as you pay more, you get the heavier-bottomed pans posters refer to. A cheap thin bottomed pan won’t function as long as a heavier-bottomed pan.

As an example, the tefal I bought was cheap. I’ve had other tefals I wasn’t happy with due to longevity, but it was “60% off” so I went for it. They make a range of pans from super thin aluminum to very heavy bottomed. This was a mid-range and within 3 weeks, of cooking on gas, the bottom is already quite warped from the heat and it no longer sits flat. (The centre has bowed up and one side has drooped and everything flows to that edge. A pain in the ass) Not very happy, but for $24…

The second pan, also 12", is a now defunct brand, I got at and end of line sale for $35 but that was about 90% off original price. It has a heavier ceramic coated base. So far it’s been good. The only issue is the coating is a lighter grey colour and it’s already quite stained.

Bottom line - there is a direct relationship between price and longevity. If you’re planning on keeping it for 30 years, it’s probably worth spending a couple dollars more. If you’re using gas buy the heaviest base pan you’re comfortable with. Avoid a light coloured surface coating unless you’re comfortable with a pan that looks dirty all the time. Look for sales, these pans are deeply discounted.

I bought this one in 2017. I literally use it every day for one purpose or another, and it is still unscratched and intact, but then I don’t use metal utensils in it, because that would be stupid. It didn’t come with a lid, but I have a lid that works with it. Handles and knobs on any halfway decent pan will take oven temps up to about 450F, and even broiler heat for a short duration.

I’ve had good luck (2 years) with the T-Fal Ultimate and Professional pans.
This one checks your boxes (induction, metal utensils, oven, no cover but available).

Just hand wash, don’t use metal, and get the pan hot first. That’s what the thermosopt thing is. Store with a paper towel between pans (saves scratches and noise - no the towel isn’t wasted, it’s used for cleanup).

We always use butter or olive/something oil anyway for flavor/browning.

It’s not about the money so much as about not looking to waste stuff and about inertia.
Also, I’m pretty indifferent to whether the bottom gets stained. That’s not the surface I use.

Freaking’ Reviews on YouTube recommends Granite Rock if you want to avoid Teflon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWnK6ZqpujE

Looks like a winner. Cuisinart’s site has selections with covers.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/skillets-fry-pan/

I think I bought the Oxo pan I use after reading that thread, so thank you to those who recommended it.

Update: my husband found a less-beat-up frying pan under a lot of other cookware, and has agreed to toss the one that is flaking bits of Teflon. I may buy something anyway, but may not. If i do, the oxo or vollrath seem like good options. I’m also intrigued by the idea of a carbon-steel frying pan. Only downside seems to be that you REALLY can’t soak it. I admit i do, rarely, soak my cast iron pan.

I wouldn’t recommended that. I have a carbon steel wok, seasoned black, and it’s no more “non stick” than a seasoned iron pan. At wok temperatures (extremely high) with high-temp cooking oil, it’s non-stick but I’d never cook something inherently sticky like an egg in it, or if I did I’d expect to have to scrape the remains of that egg off with a steel scrubber.

I mean, anything is non-stick with the right technique. Stainless steel pans (stickiest pan in the universe) can cook a perfect omelette if you use a shit-ton of butter. But you’re overcoming a cookware deficiency, not enjoying the tools at hand.

Oh, I wouldn’t get carbon steel for being non stick, just as a new frying pan I might enjoy using. I do a lot of stovetop cooking, and almost never use non-stick. That’s just for pancakes. Most sauces and stuff don’t work properly with non-stick anyway. And most stuff doesn’t stick that badly to any pan. My cornbread and tart tatin slide right out of the cast iron pan, meat always comes loose when the surface gets hot enough…

Since I’m the only egg-eater, my little anodized aluminum pan is good enough. I dunno, maybe a more slippery pan would make it easier to cook eggs over easy, but I’ve mostly switched to soft-boiled, which tastes similar but has dead-easy clean up.

I have a Volrath pan that my wife uses daily for her eggs. I’m not all that impressed with their nonstick coating, at least in this line. She only uses a wood implement when cooking and it still has scratches in it. I have a much larger one that I only use about once a year for making a large paella. It’s holding up fine, but like I said, I rarely use it.

I got this three-piece set of Henckels Capri Granitium, and have been extremely happy with them. They come with these rubbery mats to protect the cooking surface when storing them stacked.

Note that while the box claims they are metal-, oven- and dishwasher-safe, the instruction sheet inside concedes that doing those things will reduce the lifespan of the non-stick coating.

@ puzzlegal
You guys sound frugal. As I tell my kids, that’s not being cheap, frugal is very positive quality to have. It’s understanding value relative to price. :slight_smile:

I’m very happy to spend the money on a top notch non-stick pan, but like you, I want to one that will last. I’ve bought many in the past across a wide range of prices. Some work better than others and have lasted longer but there are none I’d say I’d reco.

In regard to a couple other options as squeegee notes, anything can be non-stick, it’s just the effort you put into it. I have a carbon steel wok, an anodized steel wok and cast iron pans. They all require effort to make non-stick and regardless of effort (oil, butter etc) they are never as non-stick as cheap teflon pans I use for eggs, crepes and pancakes. But they do last forever.

I’ll keep following this because I’d love see if someone has an out-of-the-park home run personal reco.

Honestly, I’m no expert but I struggle to think of a cookware innovation in decades. Calphalon intro’d anodized cookware in 1968. All-Clad intro’d bonding of stainless and copper in 1967. I took an internet dive into “what nonstick coating is on anodized cookware”, juggling terms, and honestly there’s no way to tell what maker uses what coating for what. All information contracts into a marketing singularity from which no information can escape, via terms like “non PFOA nonstick”, which accurately describes no coating at all. :confused:

I’ve had a couple Red Copper frying pans now. Both lasted about a year of daily use. My square one is becoming problematic, and I’ve tried to season it a few times. Been sick the past few days - think I have an ostomy blockage I’m dealing with in the morning - so I haven’t used it since the last seasoning attempt. If it fails again, I have to track down another at a decent price. I’m fond of them, and they dont’ break the bank.

They claim to be “ceramic” coated and not teflon. Others say that’s not possible- that all nonstick has teflon in some form. I don’t know what’s up with that.