Recommend an art or craft for a couple to work on together.

My boyfriend and I have been lounging around this afternoon, trying to think of ideas for how to spend the evening. At one point, I said, “We should make something together.” He thought this was a good idea, but the question is – what in the world can we do?

We’d like it to be something inexpensive, without many tools required, perhaps something we can pursue as a general hobby, but something that would at least be fun (and not exasperatingly difficult) to try out in a few hours one night. And obviously, it should be something that we both can contribute to and collaborate on.

Any ideas, Dopers?

I’d suggest baking. Cookies might be a good way to start; one of you can mix the dough and the other can roll it out and cut out the cookies. Also, there’s the fun that the two of you can have with licking the bowls and spoons and such. :wink: As you grow confident, you can move to pies and cakes and similar. Again, there are plenty of tasks involved, and two people can share them.

Best of all, you’ve got some tasty treats when you’re done. Try baking!

Making t-shirts is fun - especially if one of you has a slightly off the wall sense of humor. Or you can make designs that are an inside reference…that only the two of you are privy to.

Neat podcast video here that gives you an excellent step by step process for screen-printing. You can get started for less than 100 bucks, and that would probably give you enough material to make between 20 and 50 t-shirts.

If your friends like your designs, they can contribute to your expenses. You might be able to make enough money to cover all of your costs…

Video here…

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/05/learn_to_screenprint_your_1.html

Cheers,
Indyvet

Origami! I’ve recently rediscovered this fun craft, which I do every couple of decades. But now with the advent of the internet you can find lots of patterns for free, paper sources, communities, and inspiration. You can get by with cheap printer or notebook paper if necessary, and “no tools” is preferred. There are lots of fun models to fold and a long range of skills to acquire on the way up the difficulty scale. There’s a fairly recent surge in interest inpolyhedrons and other 3-D unit assemblies if those interest you. And if you like nice paper, there’s some amazing handmade and patterned papers available.

For a peek, see some photos from a convention here or watch some how-to videos on YouTube.com .

Today I sat down with my adult daughter and had a great time learning a couple new models together. It’s the kind of thing that works well with a companion, because two minds are better than one when interpreting the diagrams sometimes, and everyone has something different to contribute.

I can recommend some books if you’re interested.

How about model building? I’m not huge into it, but recently I’ve done an F-14 Tomcat and Airwolf (modified Bell 222) and it’s really enjoyable. I think it could translate well into a couple’s activity, as the tasks could be divvied up (one person could cut the pieces off of their plastic doodads while the other painted, etc.) It’s relaxing and when you’re done you’ve got something to display for as long as you want it.

I think I got started with less than 20 bucks, which included the Tomcat model itself, a starter kit with hobby knives, cement, and about 10 little containers of paint, brushes, sandpaper, etc. For some models it’s easier to buy the little cans of spray paint (white especially; I’ve never been able to get white to look good with brushes) but even then you can usually get away with only buying a can or two at a time.

How about a paper model of Unseen University ? Trust me, he’d love it. And I want to see it when you are done.