Recommend me a drawing tablet, if you would.

Not a tablet like an iPad, but something like a Wacom (I think is a brand) wherein it connects to the PC, someone then uses a stylus to draw on the tablet and it renders the drawing on the PC.

Ideally, this would be something that is compatible with GIMP.

Thanks in advance, oh mighty Millions.

You answered your own question. Wacom is the leading maker of drawing tablets these days.

The Bamboo models are basic, yet more than enough for most people, and the Intuos line is aimed more at professionals.

If price is a problem (the Wacoms are pricy, IMO), I’ve used Genius tablets before and they’re OK. Not Wacom-good, but if you’re just starting out, they’re a nice first stop.

I use a Wacom Intuos 3. It comes with drivers that feed into the operating system. You can set up the various buttons on the tablet and the stylus to emulate mouse clicks, and thus supplements a mouse for pointer movement; you can even use it instead of a mouse (I do). Since it feeds into the operating system, any program can accept and use the information it provides. I use it with Photoshop and Illustrator, but I’ve had no problem using it with The Gimp, or indeed any other program. (This is on a Mac.)

I’m actually on my third tablet. (I wore the first two out… the tips of the styluses, actually, and could no longer get replacements.) You get replacement tips with the stylus, but they’re real easy to lose.)

I used a basic Wacom (it was affordable) and it worked just as well as some of the more expensive ones. I’ll see if I can find a link to the one I had.

I am not a graphics tablet user but I am a Monoprice fangirl that’s seen a few discussions praising some of their drawing devices. The prices usually can’t be beat, and I’ve been very pleased with the quality of my varied purchases. I also rate their customer service highly. I’d say they’re worth a look.

Monoprice graphic tablets

I’m using the wacom bamboo pen and touch. The software is great, but the touch isn’t so good. I think it’s quite easy to make a tablet but most manufacturers skimp on software. Definitely get this if it’s in your budget. If you consider that it includes photoshop elements, it’s quite a good deal.

I have a Bamboo and like it; I don’t do as much graphics work as I’d like, but it’s great when I find the time / motivation.

A slightly more out-there suggestion, depending on budget and needs: the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet that will launch later this year will have the option to use a pressure-sensitive stylus on the screen itself. Way more expensive than a standard Wacom tablet, but if you were looking for a tablet / netbook type device as well, it might be worth a look.

If we’re speaking of luxury, for years I’ve wanted a Wacom Cintiq draw-straight-on-the-screen tablet/display. The latest one apparently incorporates multi-touch, but at a price heading for $4000, it’ll be a while before I ever get one…

The old cintiqs that were like a digital sketchpad were cool. The newer ones that are like a digital drawing table are mindblowing. That’s some of the neato-est tech on the market.

I have the Wacom Bamboo Fun. It’s a nice tablet, albeit a little too sensitive in some applications, but that could be a settings issue.