Recommend me a long-running "dramedy"

Just wanted to say that the supporting characters in Monk are part of the fun. The frustrations of his long-suffering shrink, the interplay between the hardened Police Captain and his way-too-gung-ho assistant… oh, and Natalie’s teenage daughter cares about Monk but is exasperated by him as well.

Shameless was great until Emmy Rossum left. Then it turned into an unwatchable mess. We suffered through last season, but never made it past the third episode in the current one.

One of the biggest dropoffs in quality I’ve ever seen.

Regarding Mr. Robot

ETA: Oops, misread that as the second to last episode of the first season. Which is when I stopped. I don’t know what the end series twist was.

That’s when I left the show. I wanted a smart show about hacking and computers, but what I got was a show about a mental disorder which pretty much only exists in fiction

I know it kept up with the hacking in later seasons, but too many other good things to watch to stick with such an annoying trope. I’d be open to revisit the show if it turns out what annoys me just becomes a background story.

Thanks for the Sports Night recommendation. Really is fun - seeing Sorkin’s earlier efforts. Really unwven and wierd in spots, but worth watching.

And we REALLY liked The Good Fight - well, S4, not so much.

It puts the lotion in the basket.

Pie in the Sky” is good fun. The main character is Detective Inspector Crabbe who intended to retire and open a restaurant but got reeled back into police work by an over-promoted supervisor. A typical episode contains two plots: the mystery-of-the-week and the day-to-day operations of the restaurant; sometimes they cross.

Amazon has the entire series but you need to be a Prime member if you want streaming.

I just checked this on Amazon and it is only available with an Acorn subscription. I had such a subscription once, for Doc Martin I think, but dropped it.

Ah, you’re right! The search page is a bit misleading; it’s easy to miss “with Acorn TV trial” under “Prime Video”.

It’s also on Sling if you happen to have that service.

Keep the recommendations coming.
We’re currently working thru White Collar.
Wife likes it more than me, but it is certainly good enough for me to veg in front of.

I’m almost done bingeing all of Veep on HBO. I tried it a couple years ago and gave up after a few episodes but thought I’d try it again (starting from the beginning again) and liked it enough to stick with it this time. It can be pretty raunchy, mostly verbal insults among the characters, not much on screen sex and no violence to speak of. Almost every main character is a horrible person but lots of witty dialog. If you don’t require likable characters and follow politics it may be worth a shot.

Liked the first couple seasons of Veep, then it lost something for us.

Just watched the 1st ep of Resident Alien. That’s a HOOT!

My standard is “shows she likes and I can put up with because I’m hangin’ out on the Dope on my laptop, and only half-watching anyways… unless she falls asleep in which case I have to pay attention because any minute she’s going to come to and ask me what happened.”

For some reason I suspect that is not entirely a unique dynamic among married couples! :smiley:

No comedy involved, but I just finished season one of Fortitude. 12 x 1 hr episodes, small town way up north in Norway, murders and strangeness going on. I don’t think it’s a spoiler that the audience is clued in very early on as to what is really happening, but it’s interesting to see how the characters respond and interpret thing and there is still plenty of stuff revealed throughout the show. Good acting and production, can be gruesome ish.
Well in enjoyed it, just started season 2 which has Dennis qauid who is rapidly becoming tiring with his over the top hyperactive style.

What cracks me up is that she thinks I’m watching TV with her, when I’m clearly somewhere else (hanging out with you guys). Luckily, she usually watches action/detective shows* where I can watch for ten minutes and pretty much catch up.

*Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, 9-1-1 and 9-1-1: Lone Star, The Closer and Major Crimes, Rizzoli and Isles, Cagney and Lacey…

Now, if she starts watching Monk, then I stop “Doping” because I want to catch every little expression, sight gag, easter egg and bit of dialogue. Not too many shows like that…

I really enjoyed Veep. I liked the fact that almost every single remark or reaction was a joke, sometimes quite subtle.

I’m on the final season, which I find I’m not enjoying as much as the previous ones. The characters were always assholes but take it to even more extreme levels, especially Selina.

And it gets better too! Def a recommend, and it’s been renewed for a second season.

Castle and Bones, particularly the former if you liked Firefly, as Nathan Filion is the male lead.
Clever dialogue, likeable people. I don’t recommend watching Bones during dinnertime, however. :smiley:

Or Hannibal.

Someone already mentioned it, but I would also suggest the British show Doc Martin. I don’t own a TV, but my parents love the show and on a few occasions I’ve sat down to watch while visiting. By the end of the episodes I was completely engrossed. Charming, thoughtful and funny.

I’m pretty sure there are 6+ seasons for your viewing pleasure.