Recommend me a long-running "dramedy"

Rescue Me, the Denis Leary/Peter Tolan series about the lives of New York firemen after 9/11. It’s very funny but also very dark at times, as Tommy Gavin tries to come to terms with the ghosts in his life.

If you like ‘Dramedy’ cop shows, definitely give Lucifer a try.

Supernatural might qualify as well.

Got The Good Fight from the library and started it last night. Really grabbed us from the 1st ep.

Interesting to compare it to Monk - which we had also started recently. Monk impressed us as all right, but didn’t really grab us through 3 eps. We both wondered how much more of a chance we should give it. But TGF, grabbed us right away.

I admit nearly all of this is personal taste, and that our tastes are likely influenced by us both being lawyers.

I watched all four seasons via the Netflix DVD-by-mail service. It’s a good show, particularly for fans of The Good Wife. It’s very much about life in the Trump era.

To compare TGF to Monk, in TGF, in the first couple of eps you are introduced to at least 5-6 interesting and well-developed main characters - and a considerably wider cast of supporting characters. (Admittedly, there is an advantage to familiarity w/ some from the previous series.)

But in Monk, there are really only 2 main characters - Monk and his nurse. Sure, the nurse has a kid, and the same 2 cops have appeared in each ep so far, but the cops (IMO) are drawn pretty 2-dimensional.

I’m reminded about West Wing - or other shows I really like. Even a sitcom like Community. There is a large enough cast of well-developed characters, that the interaction among them and their development really keeps my interest. Justified was about more than just Harlan. Even Psych had the 2 main characters (maybe similar dynamic to Monk and Sharona), but also 3 pretty well developed cop characters and the dad. Or “ensemble” shows like ER, or Hill Street Blues. It is an unusual show (for me) in which only 1 or 2 main characters can adequately carry a show.

We may give Monk another try when we finish TGF. Maybe the 2 main characters or the cops develop more, or new characters are added. But this really struck me as a difference over just the first couple of eps.

Since no one has mentioned it “Death in Paradise” - more on the comedy end than the drama end. But you can’t beat the scenery.

Capt. Stottlemeyer’s wife gets introduced towards the end of the second season, in a plot which centers around her.

Unfortunately a short run, but worth it if you haven’t seen it is Freaks and Geeks. I don’t think it will seem too dated, because it was made in 1999, but takes place in 1980. It does the drama and comedy thing.

If you like the West Wing, you can check out Aaron Sorkin’s previous series Sport’s Night which was more comedy than drama but very well written and very funny. There was also Studio 60 which tried to be West Wing in Hollywood but didn’t run very long as it wasn’t very good.

I’ll third or fourth Northern Exposure as a brilliant show if it’s not too dated by now. At it’s best, the episodes would have three or four storylines that all touched on a common theme.

I believe that the entire series is now available on Hulu, with the original music intact. (Some shows aren’t available on DVD or streaming with the original music because securing such rights can be expensive.)

Other characters are introduced too, some of whom recur. At least one gets knocked off.

For sure, Freaks and Geeks. A Judd Apatow production before he did the movies, which featured a lot of the same actors as adults. The episode “I’m In the Band,” the one where the kids have to shower for gym class, is priceless.

“I think she cut the cheese!” :wink:

U.S. Shameless. Quite funny, but a bit dreary and heavy at times too.

Sports Night (no apostrophe) wasn’t long-running (only two seasons, 45 total episodes), but it was definitely a dramedy, and for my money, Sorkin’s second best series. It was interesting going back to watch it after The West Wing; you can see a lot of plots and characters in a sort of rough draft form in Sports Night that got expanded and more thoroughly worked through in the bigger format he had with The West Wing.

A word of warning for the OP: When Sports Night first aired, it was obvious that the network didn’t quite know how to handle it. It was half an hour per episode, and had a lot of humor, so they tried to treat it like a sitcom, including an intrusive laugh track. Sorkin’s dialogue does not work with a laugh track. Early episodes also had more typical sitcom-style “zany antics”. Later, they dropped the laugh track (I think you can now find re-mastered versions that remove it from the early episodes), and Sorkin was allowed to write in a lot more drama.

If you enjoyed Boston Legal, please allow me to recommend one of my favorite shows of all time, which preceded and directly leads into Boston Legal eventually: The Practice.

While BL leans about 80% comedy and only 20% legal drama, the Practice takes itself a lot more seriously, but there is plenty of comedy mixed in also, typically from serious characters played by great actors being forced to react to ridiculous situations they are forced into by their clients. The last season gets a little weird as the show transitions toward Boston Legal, but the first 7 seasons are truly outstanding television and everyone should see it.

Another great drama that unfortunately only lasted 1 season is “Terriers”. It’s about an ex-cop and an ex-con who work together as private detectives, and it’s got a lot of heart and great characters.

Lodge 49 had the perfect ratio of drama and comedy for my taste. Alas, it only lasted two seasons.

Yeah, this was a great show. It’s a shame it only lasted one season.

Capt Stottlemeyer is played by Ted Levine, the serial killer Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. It makes Monk more fun if you visualize that while watching.

So the second to last episode of the series? There are more than that one.