Recommend me more films by & similar to the Coen brothers

Miller’s Crossing is by far my favorite Coen movie.

Other films in a similar (but maybe not exactly the same) vein to the Coens:

Local Hero

Office Space

A Fish Called Wanda

Best In Show

Some like Kevin Smith movies but I find his stuff uneven. Enjoyed Good Will Hunting but it was more of a drama.

Wes Anderson’s Rushmore and Bottle Rocket struck my fancy but I wanted to like his later movies more than I actually did.

Clarification: Gus Van Sant directed Good Will Hunting. Kevin Smith was co-executive producer.

I’d recommend Simple Men or Amateur by Hal Hartley
…but that’s coming from a guy that thinks The Big Lebowski is great.

I enjoyed A Simple Plan. Very reminiscent of Fargo.

Um, god…it’s been years since I saw Raising Arizona <i>or</i> Fargo…and I could be mistaken about “always.” I’ll have to check the autobiography again to know for sure.

Apologies if I turn out to have mislead everyone.

His IMDB entry lists the following:

The Ladykillers (2004) (uncredited) … Humane Society Worker
Intolerable Cruelty (2003) (uncredited) … Soap opera actor on TV
Fargo (1996) (uncredited) … Soap Opera Actor
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) … Smitty, Argus Reporter
Crimewave (1985/I) … Renaldo ‘The Heel’

Which is less than half of the Coen brother’s filmography. Of course, that list is not necessarily complete, but if any actor would have a wholly accurate online film biography, you’d think it would be Bruce “The Chin” Campbell.

does a double-take They did Fish Called Wanda?

runs off to check DVD

Oh, I see, you mean it’s similar. One of the best movies, ever. Kevin Kline was inspired.

By “movies like this” I am trying to decide if you mean well made movies, or hysterically funny ones (not that one rules out the other).

Okay, have you ever seen What’s Up Doc? I was dragged to this movie–tricked into going to it, actually–because I thought I couldn’t stand either Barbra Streisand or Ryan O’Neal. I loved it. Mostly it’s funny, but it’s done very well, too. I saw it again recently and it not only held up really well but amused my 9-year-old.

(My favorite Coen Bros. was probably The Hudsucker Proxy and I loved the Katharine Hepburn takeoff, because I thought KH herself often went too far with that accent. So far the only Coen movie that’s disappointed me was The Man Who Wasn’t there and it isn’t that I didn’t like it, it just seemed a little too one-note.

If you’re interested in a film that is kinda reminiscent of the Coen brothers’ movies, I recommend The Usual Suspects, which is not a Coen brothers movie, but is likely to be enjoyed by people who like Coen brothers movies. The script is odd and twisty, and the characterizations are superb. I had always thought that Kevin Spacey was one of the best actors of our time, and this movie cinched it.

I liked The Man Who Wasn’t There quite a lot, one of my faves after Fargo. But I’m a sucker for Frances McDormand, even in Almost Famous.

Nwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The Usual Suspects and Coen Bruddas shouldn’t never ever ever be mentioned within 100 pages of each other. :mad:
but that is all I shall say on that, for fear of flogging

Ahem.

“Gabriel Byrne appeared in both The Usual Suspects and the Coen Bros. Miller’s Crossing. They are also both well-made movies.”

:d&r:

I think I’d probably take Simple Men over any of the CB films, but I’d be the first to admit that Hal Hartley is definitely an acquired taste–more quirky, less obviously funny, but at his best (let’s not forget Trust), he’s terrific.

I thought that made him quite a good choice for Walter in The Big Lebowski actually, I liked him more than Bridges :smiley:

I apparently misremembered something I’d read in his autobiography, and was therefore unintentionally misleading. Sorry about that!

Miller’s Crossing, Miller’s Crossing, Miller’s Crossing, Miller’s Crossing, and… oh… did I mention… Miller’s Crossing ?

Also my favorite Coen movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Incredibly well-made. Very re-watchable (and due to the intricacies of the plot, worth watching again). Great dialogue, especially Gabriel Byrne’s.

Absolutely. On first viewing, I thought Lebowski was okay, but not great. Upon repeat viewings, I have grown to like it much much more.

When I rewatch most Coen films, I start catching things I didn’t pick up on the first time around, or noticing new subtleties, which makes me appreciate their filmmaking and their attention to the details even more. Miller’s Crossing and Big Lebowski are good examples of this.

Hard to use a term like “worst”, because even the “worst” of Coen movies are still fun to watch. I haven’t seen Ladykillers yet, but I saw the other two. And Intolerable Cruelty is still fun, but much more flat than their other movies.

Like much of the Coens’ oevure, The Big Lebowski is a riff on film noir; specifically, it makes several references to the Bogart-Bacall film The Big Sleep, especially the multiple twists, hanging threads and disappearing victims. The fact that the film ends up going nowhere and resolving nothing is actually an in-joke. (IMHO…I’ve never seen the Coens state this, but it seems pretty obvious to me.)

And I loved the Goodman character, 'cause I used to work with an engineer who looked, talked, and acted exactly like Walter, especially his pointless bullshit asides about being a SEAL in 'Nam and his obsession with bowling. Plus, it has the most quotable lines of any Coen film. “The chinaman is not the issue here, dude. I’m talking about drawing a line in the sand, dude. Across this line, you DO NOT… Also, dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.” But a lot of people don’t like it, so you’re not alone.

Unless I’ve missed something, I can’t believe that no one has yet mentioned The Man Who Wasn’t There, the Coen Brothers’ satirical take on Hitchcock, especially Tony Shalhoub as criminal attourney Freddy Riedenschneider: "He told them to look, not at the facts, but at the meaning of the facts. Then he said the facts had no meaning. It was a pretty good speech. It even had me going… "

Blood Simple is still one of their best films, IMHO. While it doesn’t have the humor of some of their later efforts, it is absolutely relentless in cranking up suspense; there’s always one more body than can be conveniently explained or buried, and while the characters aren’t stupid, they keep coming across situations they misinterperate and respond in ways that make the problem worse.

Someone else mentioned A Simple Plan, which is not a Coen film (directed by Sam Raimi, a regular collaborater and friend of the Coens), and it mostly lacks the morbid humor, but is an absolutely stunning film, especially the creepily manipulative Bridget Fonda and the dimwitted-but-more-aware-than-he-seems character played by Billy Bob Thornton. It’s another one of those that cranks up the tension by letting the characters make perfectly reasonable mistakes. You might try Bound, the Wachowski Brothers’ first film. It has a lot of the same dark humor and use of color and shadows that the Coens’ are noted for. John Dahl’s Red Rock West is a good twisty thriller, but not all that quirky, which seems to be what you like.

I vote with those who say to avoid Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. They have hints of the Coens’ better work but just aren’t really worth two hours. The original Alec Guinness-led version of the latter is well worth watching though, if you can find it. Miller’s Crossing is a watchable mob film, but different from the rest of the Coens’ work.

That’s all I have for now. What did you think of Real Genius, btw?

Stranger