Recommend me some fantasy books

Please recommend some fantasy books – no not those kind of fantasy books. I haven’t read much fantasy for a while and I would like to dive back in a bit. I’ve read LoTR and Narnia countless times. My favorite series is Earthsea (even the newer books that everyone else hated). I read (actually listened-to) The Fifth Sorceress and thought it was the worst thing I didn’t read. In fact I stopped listening before end which is pretty bad considering all I had to do was keep the CDs playing. I also didn’t like one by Mercedes Lackey. It seemed like something that I would have liked when I was younger, but just didn’t work for my 35 year-old self. I’ve also read a little over half of Pratchett and loved them all.

So any good suggestions? I’ve read threads in the past, but when I get to the library, I can never keep the authors straight: “Is that the libertarian guy?” or “Is that the guy that everyone thinks should just end his series?” I don’t care if it is a series or not, but if it is a series I like to read them in order. Thanks in advance!

My personal favorite fantasy books are The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. The series is still being completed (4 of 7 books are finished), but this just gives me an excuse to re-read the series from the beginning each time a new book is released.

The series starts with A Game of Thrones (which is obviously where you would want to start). The whole story is pretty dark and very medieval. I should also note that the series is intended for mature readers (lots of death, violence, and lewdness). The cast of characters rivals any series I’ve ever read; each individual is unique and have believable motives and desires. The story arc can get complex at times, but not overly so. In fact, I think the complexity and depth add to its attractiveness.

I’m anxiously awaiting book 5 (A Dance With Dragons). I just hope the series ends with the quality that has held up through the first four books. Sometimes series tend to get bogged down toward the end (I’m looking at you Robert Jordan!). If you’re looking for more info you can check out George R.R. Martin’s website .

Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories.

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series.

And if you want something a little darker . . .

We’ve had “recommend fantasy books” threads in the past; here’s one of them that might give you some ideas. Or if you were more specific about what you do or don’t want, I’m sure there are some fantasy readers here who can give you some good recommendations.

I’ll add Robert Adams’ Horseclans series…

Also, consider R.A. Salvatore’s Forgotten Realms books…

David Gemmell Legend … go now.
get it.
Salvatore’s Forgotten Realms books are pretty good too, in my opinion.

Everything by Diana Wynne Jones. Start with *Archer’s Goon *for a laugh or jump right into Fire and hemlock if you want to see how complex she can get.

Connie Willis: Doomsday book. Then on to To say nothing of the dog.

I’ve never read anything by Adams but I heard him speak at an SF convention once. Based on that, I have no interest in reading anything the slimy never-should-have-been-born-of-woman sumbitch might ever have written.

You sound like me. I liked LOTR and I have read Earthsea books over and over. You might want to check out Jack Vance’s Dying Earth series. His writing is really sharp and I find the characters more fleshed out than in most fantasy writing. Here’s a bit of Jack Vance trivia while we are on the subject: the magic from the Dying Earth system was the basis for the magic system in the original Dungeon and Dragons (I’m a huge geek).

Um…ok…now I gotta ask what he said…

You have got to -read- right -now -get to- the -bookstore discover Charles de Lint.

He will make you* think*, and you will not mind at all.

Anything by David Gemmell. Especially Legend and Morningstar.

The Fionavar Tapestry by Kay.

Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish

Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip

I’d recommed;
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Willams
Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

I second;
The tales of Dying Earth by Jack Vance
The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay

The Bridge Of Birds by Barry Hughart

A book about a China that never was…but should have been.

Lyrical.
Read the darn thing.

Robin Hobb’s Stuff (Megan Lindholm under a different pen name)

Linked set of 9, but the first 2 trilogies can be read in isolation, the third trilogy ties them together

Farseer Trilogy
-Assassin’s Apprentice
-Royal Assassin
-Assassin’s Quest
Live Ship Trilogy
-Ship of Magic
-The Mad Ship
-Ship of Destiny
Tawny Man Trilogy
-Fool’s Errand
-The Golden Fool
-Fool’s Fate

Gaaah. I hated those. How many times did Simon get lost and-nearly-starve-and-start-to-go-mad in those books?

Anyways, I recommend Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen, beginning with Gardens of the Moon.

-Joe

Gene Wolfe: The Book of the New Sun tetralogy:
The Shadow of the Torturer
The Claw of the Conciliator

The Sword of the Lictor
The Shadow of the Autarch

(links are to two-in-one volumes)

Oops, gave the wrong title for the last volume–it’s Citadel of the Autarch.

I heartily second the recommendation, but you left out the fifth book: Urth of the New Sun

ANYTHING by Tamora Pierce, Robin Mckinley, Jacqueline Carey, Laurie Faria Stolarz, Stephenie Meyer, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Juliet Marillier, Anne Bishop, Sara Douglass, Kate Elliott or Trudi Canavan is, like, really good.

I heartily recommend them all.