Recommend some good WWII music, please

This summer, I’m going to have some time on my hands. I’ve decided to do some radio programs on music that didn’t come from the 1980s.

Since this is the 60th anniversary of the end of WWII, I thought it would be a good idea to do a show on music from that period.

This is what I have so far:

[ul]
[li]Andrews Sisters: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy[/li][li]Bing Crosby: Swinging on a Star[/li][li]Johnny Mercer: Accentuate the Positive[/li][li]Glenn Miller: String of Pearls[/li][li]Glenn Miller: Pennsylvania 6-5000[/li][li]Glenn Miller: In the Mood[/li][/ul]

Any suggestions?

Robin

Duke Ellington’s Take The A Train is the essential theme music for the American Homefront in WW2.

Also, look up all his other stuff, & then get on your knees & kow-tow to his greatness.

Duke Ellington is on a par with Holy Cecil, in my book. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

You could try some of the tunes on this album:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00080NI2O/026-0881993-1671628

Specially released in the UK for VE day - might be more Britain focused, but may have some worth looking at.

I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen

Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing in a Hurry

So Long, Mama, I’m Off to Yokahama*

There’ll Be Bluebirds Over (The White Cliffs of Dover)

We’ll Meet Again

Lili Marlene

Der Fuerher’s Face

• Contain the deathless lyric:
    “A million fightinm’ sons of Uncle Sam, if you please
    Will soon have all those Japs right down on their Jap-a-knees”

Artie Shaw’s band: Begin the Beguine

Which, btw, you have on that CD I gave you. :dubious:

Benny Goodman Orchestra: “Sing Sing Sing”
The Andrews Sisters: “Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen” (although I prefer a modern recording of it by Janis Siegel, from the Swing Kids soundtrack.)
And I agree on anything by Duke Ellington.

I know. I was going by what I had on my computer, and I haven’t ripped the CD yet.

Robin

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

She a popular singer in England during the war.

Remember how she used to say, ‘We’ll meet again some sunny day.’?

What has become of her?

Andrew sisters–Rum and Coca-Cola

Anything by Bix–I’m Coming Virginia

Duke Ellington–Loose Lips Sink Ships

It Had to Be You–numerous versions

Sentimental Journey–Peggy Lee I think, Dinah Shore?

Benny Goodman–Sing, Sing, Sing

I Don’t Want to Walk Without You–Bing Crosby

Check out the Smithsonian’s 2-CD compilation We’ll Meet Again. It doesn’t have some of the big obvious choices (“Rum and Coca-Cola” for instance), but it’s a terrific collection all the same. Marlene Deitrich’s English-language “Lili Marlene” (a big hit with the troops) by itself is almost worth the price.

“We will cweate … a world fow two …”

:smiley: Priceless! LOL

Well the song is not from WWII, but it is about it : Roads to Moscow by Al Stewart or Supertramp’s Fool’s Overture. Woodie Guthrie’s Sinking of the Reuben James is from WWII though.

• Praise the loird and pass the ammunition and we’ll all stay free*

Edith Piaf- La Vie en Rose

:smack: How could I forget these songs : Blue Oyster Cult Me-262 and Mel Brooks’ Springtime for Hitler

Vera Lynn is still alive, though her public appearances have become few and far between in recent years on account of her age.

“Stardust”-my personal favorite version is by Glenn Miller from the WWII broadcasts.

Since I’m partial to Mr. Miller, here are some other favorites:

“I’ve Got a Gal in Kalamazoo”
“Chatanooga Choo Choo”
“St. Louis Blues”
“Anville Chorus”
“I Know Why And So Do You”
“Moonlight Serenade”
“American Patrol”
“Song of the Volga Boatmen”
“My Blue Heaven”
“Sunrise Serenade”

Let’s see, others, (gotta think of some of the songs they play on the digital stations)
“Mood Indigo”-Duke Ellington
“Cream Puff”-Artie Shaw
“Beat Daddy, Eight to the Bar”-Ray McKinley and someone else I can’t remember

Reading all those songs, wow, the nostalgia!

To answer the OP’s question, almost all the 40s songs were great. Well, perhaps excepting such as Mairzy Doats or Three Little Fishes

Louis Jordan’s G. I. Jive